Friday, April 27, 2012

If I was Going on a Journey...

I am thinking about yesterday's blog and the old steamer trunk. If I was traveling across the ocean to a new home, and was limited in what belongings I took, what would I pack? (Besides the obvious clothing and necessities of daily living; this is just for the "other" possessions.)

1.) My Bible, the one that is written in, underlined, and dog-eared .
2.) My set of Trixie Belden books, my favorite childhood-into-teenage-years books.
3.) Photographs and my scrapbooks
4.) Artwork that my kids have done
5.) My journals, starting way back when I was 12.
6.) A camera
7.) Love letters from Leo (yes they exist, and no, don't look for them.)
8.) Currier & Ives dishes
9.) My wedding dress
10.) My laptop (I didn't say this was 100 years ago!)
11.) Flower bulbs and seeds from my garden (to bring a little bit of home with me)
12.) Home videos

I am sure if I thought about longer, I could add more to my list; this is just off the top of my head.

In today's society, everything is so readily available and replaced so easily that packing for a trip almost seems pointless. You can always buy what you need once you have reached their destination. It's those things that can't be easily replaced that I'd want to pack.

1.) Memories
2.) Feelings
3.) Things that have meaning attached to them
4.) Things that tell my story
5.) Those items that make remembering possible

What would you pack?

Love,
Dianne




No comments:

Post a Comment