Monday, July 30, 2012

Steampunk Basement Renovation Part I

I think I only have a million and one things to do this week. Besides work, and baking brownies (congrats to Jaime, Phebe and Karen!), I have the normal housework and then there's the abnormal housework.

Like a basement room makeover.

What? Are we crazy? Umm, don't answer that. But if you already did, and your answer was "yes!", I'll have to say that I agree.

Our basement is in no way, shape, or form, a finished basement. It is a farmhouse basement, plain and simple. Cement floor (I should be thankful; it could be dirt), rock walls, exposed wiring, water seepage, lots of cobwebs and the accompanying spiders, barn boots, hunting clothes, miscellaneous mittens and hats all make up the personality of the basement. Oh, and the washer and dryer are down there too, so that means dirty clothes, clothes baskets, and a clothesline.

We have talked over the years about redoing one of the rooms down there, and this week, Aaron got motivated. This is to be his space, his domain, his getaway. I think it will be pretty cool if it turns out the way he is envisioning.

If. . .

As you can see, we have a lot of work to do! Cleaning it out and cleaning it up is the first step.

 I don't know why but this picture makes me laugh. It's like they are saying, "Yes Master, yes Master," in an Igor kind of voice. You know, like in Frankenstein.

Ryan is so thrilled to be helping. Utterly and completely overjoyed.

It's a good thing the basement has drains.

And there he is, determined, a man on a mission.

My men. I do like to watch them work together on projects like this.


And part of the wall is up.

Yes, even I got in on the action, sanding the wall. Now that it is all sanded, it was decided by my men that they want to tear it out and build a new one. I think they are trying to build my character instead.

I'll keep you posted in the next week(s) to come. Think "Steampunk on The Farm".

Interesting.

Love,
Dianne

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could e-mail me?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see everyone lending a helping hand with smiles on their faces. If every working day would be like this, the work load will be lighter and the progress will be faster. There are many things to be done, but with the right attitude, I'm sure it can be done the way you guys envisioned it. Keep us updated!

    Gabrielle Jeromy @Majestic Renovations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabrielle, this basement project has been, let's just say, interesting. My son decided to get married so needless to say, he didn't want to stay in the basement! My girls have decided to make it into their dance/art studio. Still working on it! I do need to get an update on here. Soon! ~Dianne

      Delete