Monday, July 23, 2012

Long Live The Flower!

I often get asked if I have a big garden, of the vegetable variety, that is.
The conversation goes something like this: 

"So, you must plant a big garden?"

"No, I don't. I do have a strawberry patch though."

"Why not? I mean, you live on a farm, right?"

"Yeah, we do, and I plant a lot of flowers."

"But no vegetables? I'm surprised. You could save a ton of money planting your own. Flowers don't save money and don't make money either."

"I know, but I like flowers. Besides, I live next to a lot of Amish with produce stands, not to mention the Produce Auction in Springs, and the Farmer's Market. When I can or freeze produce, I prefer to do it all in a day or two instead of spreading it out over a month. It's more convenient that way."

"But...but... the money you could save...and the flowers, which did I mention, cost money and make none. Tsk, tsk, tsk, I thought you were more practical than that."

"Maybe that's true, but it works for me." 

End of conversation. 

I used to plant more vegetables, but over the years, they just haven't done well for me, and like I said, I live too close to a lot of people who harvest beautiful vegetables. Next year I have some ideas for  vegetables that I want to try and at least have a "salad garden", even if I am not canning heavily from it.  I want vegetable plots scattered around my yard and existing gardens rather than one large garden that I have to weed. Besides, it might confuse the hungry rabbits and groundhogs if I have little vegetable plots scattered around. Hee hee. 

As for the flowers, well, they are therapy for me. I love the variety, the color, some of the smells, and  their personalities. I used to not be able to have bouquets on the table because I had so few flowers that I wouldn't let anyone pick them. Now, I have a nice variety at different times throughout Spring and Summer. To just go and pick a random bouquet is sweet. 

This is why I plant flowers. They may not make money, but they grow contentment, peace, and joy. 
Enjoy!









Oh, and this fellow? He was just hanging around, praying, on the yarrow. Ryan and I just had to check him out further. Pretty amazing. I think I'll call him Pierre.

VIVE LA FLEUR!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment