Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lose 5, Gain 10

This weekend is the annual Maust family 4th of July campout. It is a weekend full of family, food, fun, food, fire, fireworks, and oh yeah, food.

Like,
     BBQ Chicken
     Pulled Pork
     Potato salad
     Watermelon
     Soft-serve ice-cream
     Pizza's on the grill
     Cherry Delight
     Sweet tea
     Chocolate cake
     Breakfast on the grill
          with eggs, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, cheese, olives, etc.
     Chips
     Chocolate milk
     Chocolate chip cookies
   
Sigh. . .
Groan. . .

Hence, the reason why Leo and I are going to attempt to bike up Mt. Davis to the festivities, all 8 miles or so, much of it uphill. It is up Mt Davis and only about a mile (or so) from the highest point in Pennsylvania.

We may regret this.
There may be a lot more groaning than what you get after eating too much good food.

But. . . if we bike it, hike it, walk it, then we can indulge. Okay, over-indulge. There is a reason why our home is not equipped with a self-serve ice-cream maker. I even put some ice-cream in my coffee last night, with chocolate syrup.

Sigh.

Last night we made pizza on the grill. As the sweat ran in rivulets down my neck, I whispered a prayer of thanks for my oven that operates without fire. But I don't think pizza ever tasted quite so good either.  There is something about cooking outdoors and the flame-kissed taste that the food acquires.

I am already anticipating breakfast in the morning. Yum. I mean, YUM!!!!!!!

So, we are soon off to trek our way to the cabin, Gaterade in hand. We might lose 5 lbs getting there, and gain 10 before coming home. But for this weekend, all about family, fun, food and festivities, it's worth it.

Love,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment