Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Red, White and Blue


My God!  How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!  ~Thomas Jefferson


Freedom, flags and fireworks.
Patriotic parades.
Watermelon and BBQs.
Cookouts and campouts.
The Fourth of July is here!

What do I like about the 4th? I like the feelings of patriotism that seem to abound, whether it is in a red, white and blue flag waving proudly, a quote on Facebook, or in a simple meal with family. Today feels like a day to express pride in the values that our country first believed in.

Faith. 
Family.
Freedom.
I am thankful for a country in which I can worship God freely.
I am thankful for a country which allows me to write a blog and express my thoughts openly.
I am thankful for a country that gives us freedom of choice. 

Our country is not perfect. There are many things with our government that I don't understand. There are motions made, bills passed and other activities that I do not agree with. But I am allowed to disagree  and for that I am thankful.

Today, I pray for our country's leaders, the President, Congress, The Supreme Court. I pray for the leaders in our community. I pray for the individuals who think they can't make a difference. Our country gives each of us the opportunity to make a difference. Have I said it before? I am thankful.

Whatever you are doing today, take a moment to pause.
Think about the sacrifices made to make our country what it is.
Think about the men and women who died, fighting for faith, family and freedom, and independence.
Watch fireworks with a new appreciation.

236 years ago, the Declaration of Independence was signed.
We've come a long way and still have a long way to go.

This, then, is the state of the union:  free and restless, growing and full of hope.  So it was in the beginning.  So it shall always be, while God is willing, and we are strong enough to keep the faith.  ~Lyndon B. Johnson




Keeping the Faith!
Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment