Tuesday, July 24, 2012

ICE-CREAM at 11:00pm

Homemade Ice-Cream
It's a treat
Vanilla 
Chocolate 
Strawberry
but not Red Beet. 

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

So the saga of the ice-cream started a few weeks ago with a recipe that Heather found. Strawberries, whipping cream, half-and-half, sweetened condensed milk, and cream soda. . . the stuff that dreams are made of. . . were the ingredients listed. 

"Tonight is the night," Heather said. "One little problem though, the ice-cream freezer is missing in action."  Well, part of it was. We had the canister, the paddle and the motor, just no bucket for the ice and salt. So, since I was at Wal-Mart and the one and only ice-cream maker was on clearance, I bought it. 

I thought we were good to go. 

Not. 

On arriving home and eagerly opening the box, all that was in there was the canister, motor and bucket. No lid, no paddle. Now, if you have ever made homemade ice-cream, the paddle part is rather essential in mixing the ingredients together and assisting it in becoming frozen goodness. The lid is to keep the ice and salt out, but also allows the motor to attach to the paddle. Another vital piece missing. 

Why would someone sell something that is missing half of it? The box had not looked opened, but I am suspicious that someone bought it, took what they wanted, retaped it carefully and then returned the box for a refund. Hmmmpphhh. 

So, mixing and matching parts that did not belong together, we used the new bucket with the old ice-cream freezer. Heather had to hold the motor in place the entire time it was freezing. At first, the canister kept catching on the ice and salt and just stopping. I kept coaxing it along and after a while, it seemed to get the idea and cooperated with us. 
Go Heather. . . go Heather. . .
That's my girl!


This is the ice-cream freezer with missing vital parts. Hmmmph.

That's Heather again, tasting the results. She did share the beater with me, of which you will not see a picture of.


Now, this is the bowl of almost finished Strawberry Ice-Cream. According to my chef, it now needs to "cure" in the freezer until 11:00pm tonight.

That's right 11:00pm.
Does she not know what cruel and unusual punishment is?

Maybe if I looked like I was starving.

Yeah right, like she'll believe that.

Maybe I'll just sneak over to the freezer with a spoon. . .





But no, that would make me as devious as the ice-creamer freezer parts thief. I am the bigger person here.

And I will be an even bigger person after I get to enjoy some of the whipping cream, condensed milk, creamer, cream soda and strawberry mixture. . .

. . . better known as ICE-CREAM!!!

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment