Friday, August 24, 2012

Fair Time! (Need I say more?)

August + crickets chirping + cooler evenings + thunderstorms = Somerset County Fair

Last evening, the family, minus Aaron who already had plans, was headed for Meyersdale and the fairgrounds. I hadn't been there for a couple of years and I was a little excited; more for the kids, because I don't really remember ever taking Ryan. He informed me that he couldn't wear flip-flops "in case he goes on rides that flip him upside-down or too fast and his shoes fall off".

I had to decide what to wear. I mean, there is a fair dress code, right?
Jeans, cowboy boots, a t-shirt with some country-western band name emblazoned across the front, and a big ol' clunky belt buckle.
I have jeans.
I guess I'll just have to make up the rest.
I don't even own a belt.

 And we were off to the fair: three fair maidens and their rascal brother.

 We walked into the fairgrounds, paid our fee and got out hands stamped.

I did not take long until I realized I was dressed all wrong, except maybe the jeans.



A familiar sight was the dairy bar. Best milkshakes ever.

Nearby a band, a country/folk band, was playing to a small but appreciative group of fair-goers who needed a break. A break from the rides, not the band.

And there's Ryan, waiting for rides, for food, for something. We were waiting to meet up with good friends of mine and their 10 month old, Levi.

Still waiting, looking longingly at the rides with Amy. I looked, but I did not in any way, shape or form, desire to set one foot onto a ride. Not even the merry-go-round tempted me. Even as a kid, I don't remember ever really liking rides a lot. I rode them with my sisters; my first "roller coaster" was with Roxanne at the Garrett County Fair. The guy running the ride thought we were twins. I think the last ride I ever rode at the fair was "The Round-Up". Three times in a row and I was done for. Forever.
.

 We walked around first to look at the animals and to try to find Leo and Pap, his dad, who were there to look at a cow that Pap had connections too. It just so happened she was Supreme Champion in her class.  Once we found Pap, he was ready to leave. Leo took him out to eat and then home. As for the rest of us, we kept exploring the sights, sounds and smells of the fair.














There was a baby Jersey born just this week,
 pigs for Levi to meet,
 a curious goat checking out his admirers,
 the building with all the flowers,
 and produce,
 canned goods,
 and quilts.

 The long horse barn with sleepy horses and their owners tucking them in for
the night is the barn that always smells the best to me.

 Finally, we checked out the rides. I think they are more fun once it is dark because of the lights. The Merry-Go-Round is classic, but as it started to go around, I wondered if it had always gone that fast. Or am I just getting old? No, don't answer that.

 The Ferris Wheel, originally designed in 1893 for the World's Columbian Expo in Chicago, IL (in case you always wanted to know that), was next. The girls and Ryan clambered aboard and soon were enjoying the views the height afforded.




 Then we had to eat cheesy fries. We often got fries when I was a kid at the fair. We would go the night of the Dairy show and sitting there watching cows with the row of food booths right there was torture. The fries were usually one of the best parts of the fair for me, even better than the rides. Even better than McDonalds. Nothing beats Fair Fries.
 
My friend Tina and Adrienne got Rita's shaved ice. I tried some and promptly got a brain freeze. There is an art to eating iced treats that I have not mastered. I will stick to the fries.

 Amy, who tried valiantly to win a goldfish, lost $5.00 in the process. My friends went while we were eating our fries and came back a short time later. Brad said, "Amy, I'm sorry. I didn't get you one. . . I got you two!" I thought Amy was going to cry tears of joy. The fish are named Brad and Tina.

So, tired and happy, we said our good-byes, got hugs, and walked to the car.
August + Friends + Laughter + Food + Goldfish + Ryan on Rides = Somerset County Fair 2012.
Next year, I'm wearing cowboy boots.

Love,
Dianne

2 comments: