Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Don't be like a beheaded chicken

After a crazy busy weekend at work, humiliation in a parking lot, and a baked potato day, I am resting.
Finally.
Just holding still.
Breathing.
Listening to the night sounds.
Thankful.
At peace.

Life is crazy sometimes. (Well, okay, for me, that would be most of the time.) So, life gets crazy and full of running here and there, like a chicken with it's head cut off. Think about that for a second. Just a second, because any more time than that and it just gets gross. Besides, you don't have time for more than a second, right? If you have ever seen a chicken get it's head cut off, it just begins to flop around, kicking at nothing and flapping it's wings but going nowhere. Sounds like me some days.

But tonight, even though I had a busy day sleeping for a couple hours, doing a home visit, then a case management meeting followed by another home visit, and then driving home, I am restful. I am in bed well before 10pm. Just knowing that tomorrow is a day off is making me giddy. Not beheaded chicken giddy, but a kid with a bunch of helium balloons giddy.

God knew what He was doing by giving us a day of rest. When I am running aimlessly, it is my fault that life becomes unglued, not His. I know tomorrow is not the Sabbath, or the day of rest, but it can become that. So, tomorrow, I have normal "stuff" to catch up on, but I think I need to find time to relax.
To do something I enjoy just for the sake of enjoying it.
To finish that week-overdue library book.
To sip, not gulp, my coffee.
To browse Pinterest, guilt-free.
To hold still.
Breathing.
Listening to the day sounds.
Thankful.
At peace.

Goodnight busyness.
Goodnight phone.
Goodnight craziness.
Goodnight hormone.

And on that note, I think my brain is saying to turn out the light. Quickly, before I try another poem.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment