Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cricket Symphony





When life gets crazy, is it inevitably does this time of year, 
with school just starting, 
volleyball practice and games, 
Folk Festival preparations, 
and a work schedule that seems even more hectic than usual,
then a break from it all becomes necessary.
So I step back,
and take a breath,
(not too deeply, this is a working farm after all)
go for a walk,
and visit the cows. 

 The cows are grazing, most of them just giving Leo and I a fleeting glance of disinterest. 
The younger ones though are nosy.
Very nosy. 

Yes, I remember you. You were the Great Escape Cow this Spring, always tiptoeing tromping and trampling through the tulips, knocking over the birdbath. Yes, I remember you. 

I don't remember this one, but Leo knows them all. Like a shepherd with his sheep. 
They are his companions when he is out and about the farm. 

Even Ryan knows them all, by name and personality. 
I only know the ones who eat my flowers. 


Ahh, August evening.
The sound of nighttime bugs as they begin to tune up for the evening concert
 is accompanying our conversation.  
The house looked quiet,
at least from a distance.
(Looks are deceiving.)



Walking back to the house to gather the troops for an outing,we passed by some of these. 
Remember smashing them into a pulp to make ink / dye / face paint? 

On a lone tree in the pasture, we came across the remnants of a tree house project.
Amy and Heather started it.
Amy and Heather never finished it. 
Remember Little Miss Muffet and the spider?
This was a case of Little Miss Amy & Heather and the spider that ruined the treehouse. 

Like butter melting, the sun slid effortlessly on it's descent into the hills. 
The cricket chorus was growing and their finely tuned legs began Sonata #4 in Bb. 


 It all makes you want to applaud and shout "Bravo! Encore! Encore!

 The best way to end a busy day in August? 
Ice-cream at Katie's

"Bravo! Encore!"

I know life is crazy right now. I know my schedule is not leaving a lot of room for relaxation. I know that if I don't take even just 10 minutes out of my day to do something enjoyable, I will be as crazy as life itself. I am giving myself permission! Everyday is a different symphony and I don't want to miss it.

Besides, the crickets would be disappointed. And tomorrow, I hear they're performing a little jazz, singing The August Blues.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment