Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Coffee Bean Conundrum

Chocolate-Covered Expresso Beans.
I took one, a little morsel covered in white chocolate flecked with something dark-a vanilla bean perhaps?-and bit into it expectantly. I was rewarded with a strong coffee flavor as I chewed an actual coffee bean, tempered by the creamy chocolate. I had eaten these in the past and I knew I was getting into. But what if I hadn't?

Taking a handful of what looked to be chocolate-covered, coffee-flavored jelly beans, she put a few in her mouth. Starting to chew, she wondered a little about the crunch, but continued to chew, even as the chocolate covering melted away. Without warning, her mouth was suddenly full of coffee grounds; she really didn't think she could swallow it. Her mouth felt dry as she tried to spit. She liked expresso, she really did, but only when in liquid form in a dainty cup. This, this was like eating expresso flavored sand. Rinsing out her mouth sufficiently, or at least she thought she did, she returned to work. Not until a few hours later, when she finally got a bathroom break, did she notice her teeth in the mirror's reflection. 

They say mirrors don't lie, but she desperately hoped they were wrong, for there speckling her teeth were the remnants of the chocolate expresso beans. Not only on the surface of her teeth, but in-between each one as well. She may as well have been chewing tobacco, the way it looked. 

Forcing her face into a smile, she looked in the mirror again. Oooohhh, that looked impressive. She hoped again, desperately and sincerely hoped that she had not smiled much the last few hours. What a way to make an impression. 

Now, that scenario may have just happened to me the first time I tried this delicacy. Maybe. That's beside the point, right?

What I have learned is that you need to enjoy the beans, one at a time, chewing to blend the chocolate and coffee bean together and swallowing quickly. There is a method, and once mastered, the beans are enjoyable.

I would recommend however, that a mirror, or trusted friend be consulted prior to facing your intended audience. Strongly recommend.


Espresso Mix is filled with a diverse taste and flavor.
Not sure which flavored espresso bean you like? Try them all, including dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cappuccino, twist, and then some! Just like New York, NY
As far as getting a coffee jolt? Nah, they didn't do a thing for me, and I still had to take a nap before driving home from work. Do you think it's because some of them just got the chocolate sucked off and the bean uneaten? 

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give them an 8. 

Love, 
Dianne 

No comments:

Post a Comment