Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hit the "Be Still" Button

This week has seriously gotten away from me. I mean, wasn't it just Sunday and here it is, turning into Friday already. I know I have the same amount of hours as everyone else, but maybe mine are on fast-forward?

Really, I think a pause button would be nice sometimes.

And a mute button.

And a button that dispensed chocolate on demand.

You know the saying, "Time flies when you are having fun"? Well, it also flies by when you are just plain ol' too busy to sit down and enjoy the moment. Like this week, and probably the next, and the next after that. As we head into December and the holidays, I am already feeling like it is over before it has even started. I am anticipating the busyness, the craziness, the hustle and bustle of getting the holiday checklist completely marked off.

But what if...?

What if I crossed off some of the checklist?
What if I made a conscious decision to stop everything for 20 minutes every day?
What if I spent that time reflecting, praying, or simply being silent?
Would would happen?

Besides the obvious things, like holiday baking not getting done (which, to be honest, I don't do all that much of anyhow), or the gifts not getting wrapped with creative bows, buttons or beads, or not having my shopping done by the second weekend in December, or not making the perfect handmade gift for each person, what would happen?

I might actually be at peace with myself, with lower expectations to reach.
I would have time to reflect on how Mary and Joseph might have felt on their journey.
I would find time to rest.
To pause.
To be muted. (Okay, yes, I know that would be a stretch for me, but you never know. Christmas is the time for miracles).


Psalm 46:10

New International Version (NIV)

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God
  I will be exalted among the nations,
  I will be exalted in the earth.”

So, for this week, and the next, and the next, and even the next, I will be still.
I will hit pause.
I will hit mute. 
Now, if someone would just bring me chocolate. 

Love,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment