Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Eternal Perceptions

What is my perception of eternity? Hmmmm.....
What is my perception of eternity? Thanks to one Joe Guydo and a question he asked on Facebook, I'll try to answer. Here goes...

After working 3-12 hr shifts, I could say that at 3:00am, the nights felt like an eternity.
But, it still had a time frame, a 12-hour block of time with a beginning and an end.

Eternity is infinite, it goes on without an end. Like a circle. But, like a circle, there has to be a point at which the circle was started, although once connected, it has no end. I guess I look at that as Creation as the starting point and once in motion, is endless. Maybe not as we see it in an earthly way, as in someone is born and they die, having a beginning and end on this earth, but in a spiritual way. We live, we die, but if we are believer's in the Christian faith, then life goes on, even after death, forever. Eternity. Never-ending perfection with God.

As a kid, and honestly, even as an adult, I have wondered if I will be bored in the ever-after. I mean, singing (me?!) forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever... But I don't think that I will have any perception of time, whether it is time past or the sense that time is passing at all. I don't know for sure what that will be like, but I know that God will be there, He has prepared a place for me and eternity will be spent with the creator of my very being. It promises to be good, good beyond what I can even comprehend or my human mind can even begin to grasp.


John 14:2-3 New International Version (NIV)
"My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."


I just finished a book (The Seraph Seal by Leonard Sweet and Lori Wagner) that dealt with the "End Times", the Apocalypse and how these authors wrote about it made me think, "What if...?"
For instance, this book dealt with the whole idea of other dimensions, other parallel worlds that are existing at the same time as the one I am living in. Kind of like thinking about time travel in a way. It allowed the world, as it was known, to come to an end after a terrible time of destruction, turmoil and uncertainty, and those that believed were transported to a new earth. Definitely a different way of thinking about eternity, but interesting nonetheless. Worlds that continue beyond death.


eternity [ɪˈtɜːnɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. endless or infinite time
2. the quality, state, or condition of being eternal
3. (usually plural) any of the aspects of life and thought that are considered to be timeless, esp timeless and true
4. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol the condition of timeless existence, believed by some to characterize the afterlife
5. a seemingly endless period of time an eternity of waiting
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


Eternity. What a question. I hope my answer does it a little bit of justice. 

Love,
Dianne

PS: Yes Joe, it does feel like an eternity since the Pirates actually had a winning season. 

4 comments:

  1. To enhance your perception of eternity, I recommend the book, Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. =) (This is Lynda Olson, not Steve.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had so many friends read that book and they all recommend it. I really do need to add it to my reading list. Thanks Lynda :)
      Dianne

      Delete
  2. Hi Diane
    I appreciated your answer to my question:) It didn't take you an eternity to do so:) Your singing forevers made me think of Dionne Warwick for some reason. I also liked that you posted a definition... I had never seen Theol before(although I've seen the breakdown of Theo & logos & their definitions many times) & was intrigued by its meaning..the condition of timeless existence ...since that also, describes/defines God:)
    An admirable job DM:)
    JG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like "timeless existence" too. I think because I think too much about the passing,or lack thereof, of time and to know that someday that won't be a worry is lovely to me. Thanks for reading and for the feedback.
      Dianne

      Delete