Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day #4: Thankful for Family

Today, I am thankful for family.
Grandparents, cousins, brother and sisters, brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws, nieces and nephews.
Today, they helped us celebrate Adrienne's 21st birthday at the Maust Cabin on Mt. Davis.
I am thankful for my man who cleared out the cabin lane of A LOT of snow.

It was chilly. 
We built a roaring fire. 
We all sat close.
Bonding. 

Some of us sat closer than others. 
Heather, Adrienne, and Amy
My three lovely chickadees.

Ryan just found a cozy blanket.
And Ella, Emma, Gracie and Gavin.
I love cousins. 

Really, it was cold enough today to give new meaning to the word chillaxin'.

But it didn't take long until lots of warm hearts filled the cabin and everyone was cozy. 

Playing Balderdash with 
friends & cousins. 

Just talking and catching up. 
Sharing family news. 
Watching the little ones at play. 











Eating way too much
smoked sausage.
sauerkraut,
mashed taters,
applesauce,
broccoli cheese soup,
chili cheese dip,
homemade rolls,
apple cider,
coffee,
  brownies,
     2 different kinds of brownies.
                                                                       
  Groan. 


But the best part?
Just being with family. 
Lots of family. 
And friends.
Lots of friends. 
Cause my family 
are my friends. 

And because time got turned back, 
it was like we had an extra hour . 
We didn't really, but it felt like it. 

I know there were people who wanted to be there today that couldn't. We appreciate the well wishes and good thoughts that were felt today. 
Thank you to my family for the influence you have had in Adrienne's life. Knowing you has helped shape her into the woman she is today. 



And one last shot from today:

I wonder whom is giving advice to who? 
The way I see it, either one could learn something from the other. 

A good day? 
You bet. 
And, I organized, cooked, and prepped for a party in 3 days...
...without too much stress. 
I even enjoyed it. 
Now that's a topic for another day. 

Love,
Dianne

PS: To answer another question posted on Facebook by Missi Maust Walker  (a niece):
        Who is my favorite (Maust) niece? I really don't have a favorite. There are qualities, quirks and character about each one that is unique. Trisha is easy to talk to, Kim's sense of fun is contagious, Beth is gentle, Deanne's laugh makes me laugh, Renee has spunk, Susan has a heart as big as Guatemala (okay, bigger), Missi has a passion for her family, Mindi has been through some tough times and is still smiling, Sadie's joy is contagious and I love her wiggly giggle, Jennifer has blossomed beautifully as a mother, Megan likes to have fun as she serves God, Danae is a good friend to my girls and her smile is genuine, Kelsey is just a one-of-a-kind (and I mean that with love!), Miranda is another good friend to my girls and I appreciate her sweetness, Kristin is a girl who loves life and lives it, and last, but not least, is Gracie who reminds me an awful lot of my Adrienne. 
(These are my immediate nieces, not the niece-in-laws or great nieces...good grief, I'd have pages to go yet. )






No comments:

Post a Comment