Sunday, September 9, 2012

Savor the Flavor at the Church Bar

This morning I walked into church with Amy and Ryan. Feeling a little insecure without Leo (who had stayed home after just getting home from work at 4:00am), I hoped the sun wasn't shining through my skirt, making it basically transparent, silhouetting my legs for the world to see.

It's funny; the thoughts that go through my mind when I am unsure of myself.

Venturing through the front doors of the church, I am greeted by the tantalizing, robust smell of coffee. Last week it was White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and today...Toasted Southern Pecan. I focused on pouring myself a styrofoam cupful when someone said, "Good morning." I replied back with a quiet, "Good morning."

Then the other Sunday morning barista asked me who I was and that was all it took. It was like an invitation for friendship and I jumped on it. I think my answer became much more than she bargained for. Instead of just "who I was", she also got who I am and even a little of who I hope to be. She learned a little of what I do for a living, what I do for fun, and what makes me, uniquely me.

In return, I learned more about both of these coffee ladies. A foundation for friendship was being built at that moment. Coffee has a way of doing that. Coffee offers an invitation to slow down and savor the flavor while meeting someone new or renewing an relationship. Enjoyed with a friend, the brew always tastes better. Even if one of these coffee ladies doesn't indulge in the taste, she does enjoy the aroma and serving it to others.

A coffee bar at church? Maybe unheard of years ago, but today it is becoming more widespread. I am glad. Coffee promotes socializing. Had I not gotten coffee last week and this week, I may still be awaiting that conversation. Hard as it might be for some of you to believe, I do struggle with some shyness, being insecure, feeling unsure of myself.

I know, who would've guessed.

But really, I have to force myself to go forward sometimes, to be the one to initiate a conversation, to put myself out there. Once a know where I fit and how I belong, then I am okay. Having a cup of Toasted Southern Pecan, liberally laced with cream, in my hand certainly helps.



Coffee Bars in church?
You bet!

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment