Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gray Day Thoughts

Driving to work the last two evenings, the sky looked like a watercolor painting; a kaleidoscope of grays and whites in layers, swirls and strokes straight from the hand of God. A promise of rain was felt in the breezes that breathed around me. I couldn't help but think about sleeping the next couple of days after work with raindrops tapping on the windows in a soothing melody. Sleeping is always so much the nicer during the day when it is a gray day outside.

Five hours later, I awaken. Probably not enough sleep, but it'll do. I need to get up, walk up the lane to meet Ryan as he gets off the bus, and then have about an hour to straighten up, sort mail, and get my head in the game for one more night shift.

I enjoy the short walk up and down the lane. The sprinkles of rain dotted my sweatshirt with a random pattern, but the air was warm. As I am writing this, I hear the rain pick up in intensity as it hammers the roof and I am glad that I only had to contend with sprinkles on my walk. A gray day indeed.

I need to find some music to fit the mood, something that takes my mind on a mini vacation as I drive to work. Something that brings peace to my soul, energy to stay awake all night, and inspiration to my thoughts. Hmmm...Enya perhaps? Maybe the soundtrack to Pirates Of The Caribbean? I need to think about Ryan's birthday party (pirate themed) on Saturday. Needed: inspiration and motivation. Arrrrgh.

The clock is ticking in rhythm with the rain. One hour and thirty-five minutes until departure. I feel a little like Captain Hook with the watch-swallowing crocodile chasing him. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. Keep moving. Tick-tock. Brew. The. Coffee. Tick-tock. . .

I kinda hope tomorrow is another gray day. Rain motivates me and turns my thoughts creative. I feel like an inventor, an artist, a woman on a mission. I don't make quilts with their millions of tiny stitches, but gray days make me think I can make a quilt.  It's funny, but gray days do one of two things:
     1.) Make sleeping lovely.
     2.) Make me ambitious.
Rather opposite, don't you think?

Tick-tock. One hour and twenty-three minutes until departure.
I have some paperwork to fill out and pizza orders to drop off.
The coffee is still not started brewing.
I need to pack a supper/midnight snack.
Where's that CD?
Tick-tock.
Drip-drop.
September Showers
Stop the clock
Time to hop
Gray day
Here I lay
Tick-tock
Drip-drop

Love,
Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment