Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Pirate Affair

My baby turned nine years old this week. Poor baby. I mean, poor Mama. How, I ask myself, how did he get to be this old already? I would say, "Time for another one...", but I won't. 

Today Ryan had a few friends over to celebrate. I feel kinda bad admitting this, but we have never had a birthday party for him before. Sure we've had family over, but never a birthday party with invitations, games, and treats. This year I decided that this was the year. Regardless of how busy life is with school, volleyball and work, we would do a party. 

Theme: Pirates!
Where: At our house
When: 3pm-6pm Saturday September 29th
I even dressed for the occasion. 
Cause I like dressing up, that's why. 
We pulled the old pirate ship out of the shed and cleaned the cobwebs out of it.
Treasure was gathered together and hid for a treasure hunt.
The girls and Ryan blew up a bazillion balloons.
I scoured Pinterest for cake ideas and got a cake-deficit disorder. 
But we had fun. 
Here we go:

A treasure hunt commenced once they found the first clue. Adrienne came up with a series of clues (and they all rhymed!) in a matter of 15 minutes and they were incredible! The hardest part was when I realized that the boys would run from clue to clue and I had to keep up to take pictures. So there I am, running all over the yard and all the buildings like a crazed pirate lady. I thought once during the activity that I accidentally cut off one of the boys while trying to run with them and all I hear is, " Excuuuuuse me lady!" The girls informed me however, that I was running too slow and he was trying to get around me. And here I thought I was impressing these young lads with my impressive athletic ability. 
 The Clues, ready to be hidden...

The first clue was held captive aboard the ship.
Here is where your journey begins-You must find all the clues and treasure you will win.

"Old MacDonald had a farm...a long long time ago.
Cows that gave him milk to drink was kept cool in an old red shed. 

Ahh...the shed. 

"Dump junk out, put junk in, another clue you will win"
And they were off...to the dumpster...

"Black and round, I'm kind of little,
I hold kids right through my middle."
And thus they ran, with Pirate Mama right behind, to the tire swing. 

"Dirt and water, add a little sunshine-
yummy and delicious on a vine."
Soon they were on their way to the grape arbor where the clue was up on top. 
You know, so the alligators can't reach it. 

Two more clues led them back up to the machine shed, running all the way, and then to the volleyball net. The next clue read like this: 
"My Bonnie lies over the ocean, my Bonnie lies over the sea, my Bonnie is stuck in some green algae. 
After some discussion on where algae would grow, the boys ran to the pond
"Excuuuuuse me lady!"

"Row row row your boat all across the water...."
The last clue led them to pull the boat, drifting aimlessly around the pond, to the dock. There in the boat was a box with the treasure. And no one fell in the pond...that was my treasure. 


The boys divided up the spoils evenly among themselves. I think they are all very unselfish pirates and I was proud of them. I think it's because they all know who the Captain of the Ship is. 


No Pirate Party is complete without walking the plank. 
Here is their version: 

 

 We finished the pirate affair with eating "squid" over mac 'n cheese, pickles, fruit in jello (to keep scurvy at bay), and of course, cake. I forgot the ice-cream though. I don't think they needed any more sugar, so maybe that wasn't a bad thing.








And thus the birthday boy celebrated, and I had a blast, a cannonball blast!

          And this is me, Mama Pirate...
Love,
Dianne...arrrrrrgg
 





2 comments: