Saturday, September 1, 2012

Lewis, A Man Remembered


I was working on a family history project today. Actually, today was the deadline for the project, but for the past two weeks I have been thinking about it. "It" being the Lewis C. Bender story. Who is he you might ask? Let me tell you.

Lewis was Leo's grandfather, his mother's father. He was born in 1900 and died in 1931. A short life that I wish I knew more about. The little I did know came from information compiled by Leo's oldest sister Sherrill. There has been small amounts written in The Casselman Chronicles and another small bit was in a book about the Children's Home that used to be in Grantsville, MD. A few stories came from family members who heard stories from their parents. When all was said and done though, I really had only a small glimpse of who this man was.

I want to know more.

When he was a boy, what did he want to be when he grew up?
Did he always want to be a teacher or did that just happen?
Did he have a favorite toy?
A favorite storybook?
What games did he like to play at recess?
Arithmetic, reading or penmanship?
What was his favorite color?
What made him fall in love with Anna?
Did he ever write a love letter to her?
Did he sing his children to sleep?
Did he change his babies diapers?
What made him angry?
What were the things that made him smile?
Or laugh out loud?
What color were his eyes?
What did he name his dog?
Did he even have a dog?
Was he a cat person instead?
Did he whistle while he worked?
Did he like to cook?
Was he a meat and potatoes kind of man?
Or did he prefer fruits and vegetables?
Pie or cake?
What made him believe in God?
Why was II Peter, Chapter 1 his favorite Bible passage?

See what I mean? There is so much that makes up a person, and sometimes so little is known. A little sad I think. There are things about Lewis that I did find out that I thought were pretty neat, especially when I think about my own children.
He was a teacher.
     Adrienne is in college for a degree in Education.
He was a lover of music.
     Aaron is a musician.
He was known as an easy-going kind of person.
     Amy...need I say more?
He wrote songs and poetry.
     Heather writes poetry. Sometime I'll have to see if she will share some with you. 
As a boy, he was "...good-natured and kindhearted".
     Ryan is that to me.

I guess in a itsy-bitsy small way, without even knowing it, I can see Lewis in what my children are becoming. I see character, not just in them, but in Leo also. He is quiet and more serious (at times) but like Lewis, he is also "one with whom one could have a lot of fun".

This man, Lewis C. Bender, left a legacy, not just in my family, but in many of my brother and sister-in-laws, nieces and nephews. Without meaning to, he affected lives, as we all do.

How we live is important. Today. Tomorrow. Seventy years after we are gone. It matters.
What will I be remembered for?
What will you be remembered for?

Love,
Dianne






No comments:

Post a Comment