Monday, September 24, 2012

Letting Black Cats Walk in Front

I sat with my laptop last evening and thought about writing. That's all the further I got. I kept dozing off and finally just gave up. Night shift fever. What was I thinking about writing though? Superstition.

su·per·sti·tion  (spr-stshn)
n.
1. An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.
2.
a. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
b. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance or irrationality.
c. Idolatry.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/superstition



Before I was a nurse, I don't think I can really say that I had superstitions. I thought if you held any of that kind of thought in your head, you were doomed. I guess that is like being superstitious about superstitions. Now that's a thought.

Then, as a nurse working on OB, Labor and Delivery, I soon learned that sometimes a labor room door would be left open so that no one would come in during the night to use the room. Make sense? Not really. A belief in something of chance is certainly risky and is taking a chance.

Then as a nurse just off orientation in the NICU, I asked my coworker about how often we have a code (a full resuscitation of an infant) in our unit. She said it was rare and we talked about it for just a little while. Then, within an hour or so of our conversation, we had a baby that needed coded. Random? Maybe? Coincidental? Probably. Weird? Definitely.

Then on another night, I casually mentioned chest tubes. We got a baby that needed a chest tube.
The other nurses told me to quit asking questions.

This past Saturday night, I was at work with the same coworker that I asked the code question of. We were talking about flight transports. I mentioned my extreme dislike of them and then we decided that we should change the subject. Superstitious? Maybe just a little.

Then about two hours later, the phone rings. Guess who ended up going in the helicopter that night? Yes, it happened again. We joked around that I can only talk about nice things, like babies getting better, vacations, etc.

I used to not be superstitious. I am trying not to be now, but sometimes things happen and it is just freaky. Am I going to be controlled by that? No, I am going to choose to believe in something bigger than chance and circumstance. I believe in God and I believe that He knows my days, the events that will occur and what I am able to deal with long before I do. He knows what I need to learn, what fears I need to overcome and what brings me joy.

I choose to let God be God and I will follow. It's just better that way.
We have a black cat and I have been known to let it cross my path, numerous times a day.
We have a ladder and yes, I have walked under it.
I choose not to let superstitions take control of how I live.
And that's that.

Love,
Dianne

PS. How did I survive the fight? Very well thank you. It wasn't too bad and I know that night, before I ever left for work, that there were two other night shift nurses in other parts of PA and MD that were praying for my night. What better night to fly that that one? Thanks Gloria and Sandi!

No comments:

Post a Comment