Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Life As a Taxi Mom

I have decided that taxi drivers deserve a special place in my heart.

Today, I drove myself through the city of Johnstown, running into not one, but two, detours. One of the roads I was trying to take was a detour for another road I usually take, but not until I about ran over the "Road Closed" signs did I realize that now my detour needed a detour.

A taxi driver would have known that.

I did eventually make it home, after a nap in Somerset. I think a taxi driver should have volunteered to just drive me home.

Then this evening, my respect for the taxi profession was renewed. It started with meeting Ryan at the end of the lane. We walked together to the house, discussing his day and the birthday party he was to attend later. Then:
     -1600 Ryan and I drove to Brenneman's Story to look for a birthday present.
     -1635 We arrived back at the house.
     -1715 Amy called from the school; could I pick her up from volleyball practice.
     -1730 Ryan and I picked up Amy at the school
     -1735 We headed to the birthday boy's house.
     -1745 Ryan is dropped off at afore mentioned birthday boy's house.
     -1755 Arrived at the house. Again.
     -1845 Drove to school to pick up Heather from volleyball practice.
     -1855 Arrived at home. Again.
     -2045 Leaving to pick up Ryan from party.
     -2110 Arrived at the house. Again.

Sometimes I wonder if the neighbors are keeping count of how many times I leave and return.
I would be.

My only real experience with taxi drivers occurred in downtown Manhattan, NYC about 2 years ago. We were there for a funeral and we were staying with a friend in New Jersey. He is an experienced city driver and was wiling to drive us around to see a few of the buildings, Broadway, the Christmas lights, the WTC site, you know, typical touristy things. We were in the middle lane of what seemed like an 8 lane street (or was it 16 lanes?), when our friendly driver wanted to turn left over all these lanes of traffic. Now I know the light was green, but don't you normally yield to the oncoming traffic? Maybe it's because I am a country girl, but I would've waited. Maybe we would have been there all day waiting, I don't know, but it would have been better than what happened next.

As our car was angling left, three, yes, three irate taxi drivers cornered us. Every time we tried to move the car more to the left, they pushed in even closer, hemming us in on the front and both sides of the car. I tried to look nonchalant, like I was a cool city driver, but I probably looked more like I was sinking into the floor boards of the car. Just get us out of here. 

And somehow, our driver did just that, after some gesturing and "polite" facial and hand expressions of course. Now I think those taxi drivers probably thought they had the right-of-way, but our personal taxi driver that day thought he did too. This could have gotten ugly. I mean, uglier that what it appeared to be to me. My point is, the taxi society kept their cool. They must have the patience of Job.

So taxi drivers.
I think it takes someone special to do the job in the real sense.
As for me, I'll stick with the Mom Taxi Service that I run now, with the help of Adrienne, Aaron, and Leo that is. It still requires patience and diplomacy and skill behind the wheel. It is a great time for communication too in those little trips. I like that. As for charging a fare? I get paid in hugs. I like that too.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment