Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"As Sands Through the Hourglass..."

This is me on September 19th,  uncut, unphotoshopped, raw and real.

I woke up early enough, for me that is, and thought about joining my kids in their morning ritual of getting ready for school. Then I fell asleep again.

Getting up at 0848, I decided that while most of the time I like fall weather, this morning I was freezing and since I didn't shave my legs all weekend, I felt like a porcupine. Yes, it did say this was "uncut".
I threw on a fuzzy gray sweatshirt and left on the striped flannel pajama bottoms. I figured that if people can wear their pajamas in public, slippers included, then I can indulge in my own home.

I took some time to scroll through Facebook and catch up on a few blogs that I enjoy. Then I felt lazy.
Mornings just really are not an energetic, get-a-lot-done time for me. At all. I haven't even made the pot of coffee yet.

Then I began writing down my thoughts of the moment and right now as I type this, I am thinking this might be an all day affair. See you later as I am off to the kitchen to brew the coffee. Hmmm, should I go with the Hazelnut, the Light Roast, Signature Blend, or Mbeya Reserve from Tanzania? I am waiting for the Jamaicain Me Crazy and the Macadamian Nut flavors ordered from church to come in. So many choices, so few cups of coffee that I really should be limiting myself too...

And the winner was...Light Roast, but only because that was what I already had in the grinder. What I really wanted was something darker, so I ended up adding more than I usually would. Does it work that way or am I just going to get more caffeine without the bolder flavor? I guess time will tell...

Brunch...2 eggs scrambled with red pepper, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, mushrooms and feta cheese, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Coffee with homemade vanilla-caramel creamer. Divine.



I got the blankets off the clothesline; they have only been there since Monday. Rain-washed and sun-dried. I hung more laundry out then to dance in the breeze with the falling leaves. I tried dancing too but the neighbors just thought I was being chased by bees.


Cleaning up my nightstand, covered in books and papers, I found a mini Twix and a Dove chocolate. Sweet. Then inside a book, I found two checks that I thought I had lost or had been taken from my car. Blessed.

Can I just say that when one is walking on a treadmill, one should pay attention and not step on the side, thus causing said person to fall off the treadmill. Just saying.

A phone call or two to Mom is always a pleasant distraction in my day, and no, that was not the cause of the treadmill incident.

Walking back down the lane after meeting Ryan as he got off the bus, we found a newly hatched monarch butterfly. Afraid it would get squashed in traffic, we let it walk on us and it is now drying it's wings in the kitchen. Butterfly rescue was not on my to-do list for today, but I'll take it.


What else did I do today? At least up until 4:31pm that is.
Did the dishes, folded umpteen million towels, swept the floor, thus cleaning up the glass I broke while doing the dishes, ironed some clothes, organized some fabric to take to the attic, and read a little. There is still 6 or so hours left in my day. I look forward to the rest.

You know what the best part of my day was? Not having to go anywhere. I do like being at home, catching up on what needs done from the days/nights of work elsewhere. I am thankful for what God has given me and the many ways in which I am blessed.

And just as sand goes through the hourglass, this is a Day of My Life.

Love,
Dianne

PS. In case you were waiting for a picture of me today...here it is. But I did remove the striped pjs before walking up the lane. No reason to give the neighbors a reason to talk. I must do my part to decrease gossip after all.

Note: after a comment on Facebook, I just need to clarify that after removing the striped pjs, I did indeed replace them with other clothing. I have been seen too many times in a state of undress already!!

PS #2 As for the reference to a popular soap opera, no, I don't watch it. Years ago, yes, but no longer. Real life is good enough for me.

 








No comments:

Post a Comment