Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Smiles

Saturdays are made for sleeping in under rumpled quilts, 
wearing pajamas until noon,
while making French toast topped with fruit and a side of sausage. 
At least, that is what this Saturday was made for. 
Not every Saturday, or nothing would ever get done, but for today, I'm going with it.
Good? Oh yeah.



Trying to eat healthy-ish, I used ground turkey and seasoned it.
It felt like sausage. It smelled like sausage.
They all thought it tasted like sausage.
Winner!

From Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook:
Breakfast Patties
2 lbs lean ground turkey     
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried sage leaves
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
(I added a little Italian seasoning too)                                        
                                                                                   
Crumble turkey in bowl; add seasonings. Shape into patties, whatever size you like! Cook over 
medium heat 4-6 min on each side until no longer pink. Unless you like raw meat. Then I would suggest howling at the moon too.                  
 Nutrition facts: Two 2 1/2 inch patties =85 cal, 5gm fat (1gm sat. fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, trace carbs, trace fiber, 10gm protein. Not too bad! 

French Toast a'la The Maust Family
1 loaf whole grain/whole wheat French bread
milk
eggs
creamer (I used some Bailey's White Silk and Spice-kinda had a chai tea taste to me-but I'll bet French Vanilla would taste good. Or Hazelnut. Or White Chocolate Mocha. Hey, I know, just skip the milk and use all creamer.) 

Soak the bread slices. Sizzle on the griddle til nicely browned and toasty. Once on your plate, cover with fruit (whatever you like!); we used peaches, bananas and mandarin oranges this morning. Drizzle on some real maple syrup. Lick your fingers. 

Then, since I used Heather's camera (my batteries were dead...AGAIN!) and I loaded her pictures onto the computer, I couldn't help but browse what all she had taken over the last year. I found a few favorites that just made me smile. 

So here are a few Saturday Smiles for you. I hope your day is blessed!!







Love, Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment