Friday, January 25, 2013

My Little Dutch Beatle

Never, let me repeat, NEVER let a child less than 10 years of age in the bathroom for longer than is necessary to do one's business. There are too many temptations.
1. Water
2. Scissors
3. Hair products
4. Mirror

Last evening, as the little man was in there, supposedly doing his business, I let him be. I thought at first he was just trying to get out of doing the rest of his barn chores, so I knocked on the door.

"Are you okay in there?" You know, in case he fell in. He did once, when he was pretty little so it never hurts to check. Just in case.

"I'm fine."

"Okay...."

Ten minutes, twenty minutes, forty minutes...

WHAT is he doing in there???

The door latch clicks and I hear the door squeak slowly. I can imagine him slipping his face out as he  checks to see if the coast is clear. Then he runs out the hall into the kitchen. All appears to be normal. At first glance.

Then as I venture warily into the bathroom to check out the damage, I see two combs, a fingernail clipper, tweezers, lotion, numerous Q-tips and various puddles of water on the counter. AND soft wisps of hair that have floated to the sink bowl.

"RYAN!"

His tousled light brown head appears before me. Attached to his body of course. He looks up and I see a crooked path across his forehead with odd wisps of untouched bangs mocking me. Now, he really does need a haircut (he could pass for one of the Beatles) and the amount he took off really, in comparison, is not so bad. It's just that now he looks like the Little Dutch boy or Little Lord Fauntleroy.  Especially after I fixed it.

An appointment at Hair Raisers is in order.

The funny thing is, the desktop computer is on the fritz and he hasn't been able to do his activities that he enjoys on there. He has a horse farm and you know they all need fed, groomed, rode, etc every day. Well, they are being neglected for now and Ryan has had to find other means of play. Hence, all the paper airplanes in the kitchen, the living room, the hallway as well as using the bathroom as a source of creative play.

I guess that's one way of looking at. He was just being creative. It is just a little hair after all. It could have been worse, he could have cut someone else's hair. And it is better than the globs of red icing from a tube that I found in the bathroom a few evenings ago. I thought someone had a massive bloody nose.

Yep, the hair was a little nicer to find than that.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment