Monday, January 7, 2013

Pet Peeve, Pique, Bother and Bug

Pet Peeve. Really what is a "pet peeve"?
Here's what I think.
A pet is generally something you like and want to keep.
A peeve is, well, what exactly is a peeve?


Definition of PEEVE (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peeve)
1: a feeling or mood of resentment
2: a particular grievance or source of aggravation

Synonyms: aggravate, annoy, bother, bug, burn (up), chafe, eat, exasperate, frost, gall, get, grate, gripe, hack (off), irk, itch, nark [British], nettle, irritate, persecute, pique, put out, rasp, rile, ruffle, spite, vex

So, what do you say to a pet irk, pet pique, or even a pet nettle? 
Really, a pet peeve then, would be something that annoys you just enough but yet you want to hang onto it because...why?

I think it is so we (I) have something to complain, gripe or vex about. So we (I) can feel justified somehow that life annoys me and I am allowed to be grumpy about it. For instance, here's just a few
pet narks of mine:

1.) People chewing too loud, too much, too hard, too close to me.
2.) When people, aka family members, dig when looking for something. Unless it is buried in the dirt, sand or snow, there is no reason to dig.
3.) People driving too slow when there is no obvious reason to be poking along.
4.) People driving too fast when there is no obvious reason to be breaking a sound barrier.

Now, as anyone can see, I have pet peeves. I sometimes like to complain about them. I treat them like little pets, giving them attention, feeding them so they become even larger.

"Hi, my name is Dianne and I am a pet peeve owner."

BUT, is this how I want to be remembered? As a person who complained about petty things? As a woman who couldn't just let it go? As a person who allowed her pet peeves to have her on a leash?
Amy and I were talking about it this evening. The idea of what we put on our tombstone someday came up. I would like mine to have something on it that represented who I was. Believe me when I say, the last thing I would want is for my epitaph to say, "Please, don't dig." I think the time has come for me to change my words. 


Ephesians 4:29
New International Version (NIV)
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.


Philippians 2:14-16
New International Version (NIV)
14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”[a] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.



Love,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment