Monday, January 21, 2013

Answering A Few More

Once upon a time, a very, very, very long time ago, a few of you asked me some questions on Facebook. I haven't forgotten, really I haven't; I just saved them for a time such as this. I don't really know exactly what that time is, but here we go.

From Brenda T., "Where would you most like to visit?"

From Terrie S., "If I could travel to any time period, what would it be? Who would I like to meet?"

From Michelle M., "What is the one place that you would love to travel to and why?"

Since these questions are kinda related, I thought I'd lump them together, more or less. So, to start with, I would like to visit Europe (is that cheating to name an entire continent?), but more specifically Ireland, Scotland, Germany, and Italy. I have always liked history and to me, Europe is history. And I am pretty predictable in that I'd like to visit old chapels, castles, ruins, farmhouses and estates with a few gardens thrown in here and there. Oh, and some sidewalk cafe's with coffee and pastries.

For a time period to travel to, that would probably be the time period of 1890-1915 in the United States.   Newport, Rhode Island would be my destination. The Gilded Age into the Progressive Era. I enjoyed our vacation in Rhode Island a few years ago and our walk around Newport was one of the highlights for me. Seeing the architecture and breathing in the musty scent of history and even mystery that was there was intriguing to say the least. The little bits I had read about the time, the place, and the people make me want to know more, to experience what it was like for them.

I like that life seemed simpler back then too. Whether or not it truly was is up for debate; each time period in history brings its own set of problems and issues, but the romanticized version of it is very appealing. Think Downton Abbey or Anne of Green Gables and you'll know what I mean. I like the manners, the values and ideals that were held to the forefront and wish that life today was a bit more like what I imagine it was like back then.

And besides all that, I love the clothes and hair styles from that time period and would very much enjoy dressing like that for a while. At least until I missed my flannel PJ's or soft, faded jeans, that is.

Who would I like to meet on my travels? Hmmmm, seriously, I don't know for sure. I wouldn't mind meeting Beatrix Potter or Jane Austin. Or how about Rahab from the Bible? Ruth, again from the Bible, would be up there on my list too. I'd like to talk to some of my ancestors from way back when, like a great, great, great, great, great grandmother.

Now, it's 11:47pm and my house is quiet, except for the wind. (Or is that a time machine?) Daylight will be here before I know it and tomorrow is another day. I am off to sleep, maybe dreaming of being in a castle by the sea, sipping tea with Ms. Potter.

Good night,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment