Monday, January 14, 2013

My Favorite Wife...A Favorite Movie

Settling into the living room with pizza's and soda, I am blessed to be surrounded by my husband, children and a friend. The futon, laid out as a bed, is filled with five of them and the couch holds the rest of us. An old movie, My Favorite Wife (1940), starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne is soon playing on the television and I am loving every minute of it.


I love old movies. The way they talked was dignified and elegant; not abbreviated and punctuated with like, you know, umm, all the unnecessary, like, words and stuff, ya know what I mean? Refined and polite, but funny, with acting that was good, really good. 

The way they dressed also was refined, with every detail important, but yet appearing effortless. The men wore suits, the ladies wore dresses, heels, and hats. Hats, be still my beating heart. Bedtime meant dressing gowns and robes, but I do have to ask:

Did they really sleep in two separate beds in real life? 
I hope not.

I love how the old movies played orchestrated music, so different from the soundtracks of today, but every bit as amazing. You knew the mood and you knew what you were supposed to feel. In this movie, I liked how when the hotel was paging a gentleman, the pageboy (yes, that was what he was called, and yes, that is what he did!) would walk throughout the rooms calling "paging Mr. Burket" and the music would echo the call exactly. It's funny, but I never really thought about what a pageboy was until tonight. Way better than sending an electronic page I would think.

And how about the hairstyles? Groomed and styled with care and precision. I like to wash and go; even as much as I enjoy that era of the 40's, I don't think I could have, or would have had the patience to get the curls and waves just exactly so. Nor could I don the the shower cap to protect the coiffure.

Ah, the classics. They just don't tell stories like that anymore, or rarely at any rate. Granted, some movies are better and they too are destined to be classics someday, but did you notice how old stories are always showing up in Hollywood? Les Miserables, The Great Gatsby, The Hobbit, Narnia, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women...and the list goes on.

Timeless. Classic. Classy.
Lights, Camera, Action...keep it rolling...

Giving it two thumbs up,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment