Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Putting Myself in Night Shift Mode

Time to put myself into "Night-Shift Mode." I really do wish there was a button I could push that would make it easier to cope with. I mean, I like night shift, otherwise I wouldn't choose to work it all the time, but the physical toll it takes on my body is rough.

1) I never know if I should be awake or asleep.
2) I never know if I should be eating or sleeping.
3) I have a hard time driving home in the morning, even if I've slept well the day before.
4) I usually don't sleep before my first night shift, so until 9am rolls around the next day, and I can lay   down, it's been about 24 hours without sleep.
5) I don't usually sleep much after finishing up a night shift because if I am not working again that night, I want to be able to sleep that night. Sometimes that means I go about 30 hours without sleep.

I think all the night shift has killed my metabolism.
I think it is true when they say that working night shift takes years off your life.

So why do I do it?

1) There is just something about the middle of the night, caring for someone when they need it.
2) I can usually sleep the next day, before another night shift, and I know many people who can't.
3) At least I get to see my kids in the evening (during school) a little bit before leaving for work. If I was daylight, I would get home around 9pm and it would be bedtime.
4) I am not trying to find someone to watch my younger kids during the day. Even if I am sleeping, I am sleeping at home, and they know where to find me.
5) I am not a morning person. At least not of the 4:30 in the morning variety. I worry all night that I am not going to get up on time and don't sleep well.
6) Wintertime is not nice when there is a storm, and the roads haven't been cleared and I would have to leave at an even earlier hour of the morning, if I was dayshift. Somehow in the afternoon or evening, it doesn't seem so bad.

Night shift mode means:
     -coffee
     -more coffee
     -relaxing ocean sounds to listen to while I sleep during the day
     -another cup of coffee
     -a positive attitude
     -a smile for 3am
     -and 4am
     -one more cup of coffee can't hurt

Being a nurse in a hospital means someone has to do night shift. Why not me? I just pray that I can go with a good outlook, a smile and a prayer, and that I can be a blessing to my coworkers, the families and the babies.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment