Saturday, June 23, 2012

Cleaning the Bedroom Closet is Therapy

Last night I was in the mood to clean out my bedroom closet. I have no idea why.

Well, maybe I do, a little.

You see, I have been feeling quite unorganized and right now, my bedroom, including my closet, are a wee bit out of control. When life gets busy, I try to keep the rest of the house presentable, but our bedroom gets ignored.

Clothing gets tried on, changed, and tossed on the floor.
Clean clothes pile up in clothes baskets.
Dirty clothes pile up in clothes baskets.
Books get read or stacked up in piles, waiting to be read.
All my scrapbooking supplies are in here too. Unorganized chaos.
I have a pile of things to go up to the attic into storage.
I have a pile of things for a yard sale.
I have a pile of miscellaneous items from pockets and purses.
There is a suitcase from a weekend conference still not completely unpacked.
The floor is sticky where I spray on hair spray.
Oh, and is that a dirty dish?

Now, with all that mess, I should've been cleaning out where everyone can see. That's logical.
Did I ever say I was logical?

By cleaning out the closet, I figured it is an area that won't get messed up again as quickly and my efforts would last a little longer. I would just know that it was organized and clean, and that would make me feel better.

It is kind of a control issue. I want control over my life, and when things feel out of sync, organizing helps me regain balance. Even if it is something small, like putting books on a shelf in a way that is logical to me, or putting my clothing in order of color in my closet.

No, they are not in rainbow order, although I really did do that at one time.

I am getting rid of some clothes and shoes. I am putting winter things in storage boxes. I am eating chocolate while I do this.

It feels good and a tiny corner of my brain is sighing with contentment.

I am taking a break to do this and then I need to get ready for a wedding this afternoon.
And since my closet is becoming organized again, I can actually find the dress I am wearing and not just one shoe, but both of them.

Cleaning the bedroom closet is therapeutic and costs much less than therapy. Well, maybe not, since I think a trip to Dress Barn and Payless Shoes is warranted. Okay, so maybe not cheaper, but so much more fun.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment