Sunday, June 24, 2012

Early-ish Morning Bike Ride

This morning, Leo seems to have lost his head.



Well, maybe it was his wife too.
Actually, it was his wife who had the idea to take a long bike ride this morning.



Yup, that's us.

We left Meyersdale around 7:40. We planned to leave around 5:00am, but that didn't happen. 
I mean, why 5:00 in the morning? So, the sun already up, but still in the cool of the morning, we headed out towards Frostburg and the Big Savage Tunnel. 
 We thought we were going all downhill from Meyersdale to the tunnel. That meant all uphill to come back. As we pedaled, I thought to myself, "If this is downhill, I am kinda dreading the return trip."
Then we came to the Eastern Continental Divide.

Pretty cool, huh?


Then we discovered that from Meyersdale to where we were at the Divide, it had been uphill, not downhill. I wasn't crazy and we were going to make it back just fine. Actually, the incline was so gradual that it wasn't really all that bad, but just knowing that going back was downhill. . . well, that was nice.
\

The Big Savage Tunnel (built in 1911)


Long and dark, chilly and damp, and just a little bit creepy.



 And we made it to the other end without encountering any trains. 



The view from this end of the tunnel. . . AMAZING!




I almost burst into song. 
Almost. 


Halfway there. Only 9.5 miles to go. Let me just say that a cushy bike seat makes all the difference. 
We survived our Sunday morning bike trek,
and I think that instead of losing our heads, we found something so much more wonderful.

Thanks Leo for a wonderful morning. 
I love you. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment