Friday, September 13, 2013

Blessed in Spite of Myself

If I have to get up early for work, for a meeting, a class, anything, I stress about it. I worry that I won't get up on time, then I check the alarm clock 62 times to make sure I set it for AM and not PM. Yesterday, I should have also checked the calendar. 

The alarm went off at 4:40 AM. I whined a little, then slid ungracefully out of bed. I got dressed, made a yogurt parfait for breakfast, and set my sights on Johnstown. I had a computer class for work that I had been reminding myself of all week because I was afraid I'd forget to go. 

I stopped at the Coffee Bean for a coffee, made my way up to the 5th floor and when I walked in, everyone looked at me like I was an apparition. I know I'm not usually a daylight person, but I didn't think I looked that bad. Well, it turns out that I was not supposed to be there yesterday. At all. The computer class? Next Thursday. 

You watch, I'll forget. 

Leaving work…the long way around.
Spending an hour doing other required education made me feel a little bit better about driving 50 miles for no reason. Then I left and headed towards a friends house who lives over that way. This day would not be for nothing. 

You see, when I make a mistake, God can take even that and turn it into something good. If I let Him. My attitude could have been angry and I could've grumbled about it all day. Poor me. But I chose not to. 

Instead, this is what I did:



Still leaving work, but pausing to sip my coffee...
 …and smell the roses...

…and then I listened to a little George Donaldson "The World in My Mind"….


…but I had to pause to take a picture of a building "Beka House" that I have always liked, but never took the time (because I had no time) to stop and take a picture. Until today.

I arrived at my friend's house. Excited, because we don't always have the opportunity to get together.
A day to chat, just because.

 We sat on the front porch. I enjoyed the view; moonflowers wound effortlessly around the posts and dragonflies flitted about. I enjoyed the company of a dear friend even more. I am encouraged. I am blessed.

 And then there's this almost two-year-old little guy that just makes me smile. He is definitely worth the 50 mile trip.

He showed me the 4-wheeler, the mud puddles, the bulldozer, the grandaddy long-legs, the earwigs, the broccoli in the garden (as he picked the small florets and stuffed them into his mouth!), his book with colors, the pumpkins...


My friend, in her secret garden. Love the garden, love her.

We dropped the little guy off at his Grandma's, just up the road, and there I was delighted with her collection of tins. I would've never been able to enjoy this if I hadn't mixed up my days. Isn't God good?


After some more time covering too many topics in too little time, we prayed together and my spirit was uplifted before I now turned my car towards home. I may have driven into a brewing storm, but it was all good.

I was home now.
And Shakespeare greeted me with a song. He does a very good rendition of Madame Butterfly.
A little awkward perhaps, but still quite good.
Love,
Dianne

2 comments:

  1. I am such a work in progress! This kind of thing would have made me crazy just a few short years ago. I would have let it get to me and told myself all day "how stupid I am." God is faithful though, He is good and I am changing. Never fast enough for me, but a work in progress nonetheless! ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete