Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Milk-Can With My Coffee

When the day starts with a stop at a coffee shop, it bodes well. Quite well. I got a Pumpkin Pie Cappuccino; I tell you, it's an obsession. The only thing that could have made this stop any better was if it involved a rendezvous with my man. 

Wait a second.
It did. 
He met me at 0730.
I liked this semi-spontaneous date. 
I think he did too. 




We sat outside, sipping coffee and eating an egg sandwich on a croissant. 
Being a gentleman, he sat on my chair first and dried it off.

It was a good thing I had the coffee as I am quite sure it made my mind sharper because
as I got nearer home, I remembered there was an auction in Springs today. 
On that auction, there was listed an item I was interested in:
a milk-can, painted by the one and only Alta Bender. 
(That's my grandma.)

I texted my sister-in-law to see if she was there.
She was.
I wondered if the item had sold yet. 
It hadn't. 
I wondered if she would bid on it for me.
She would. 
Then I found out what was on the milk-can:
A painting of our farm!
I had no idea; I just wanted to bid because it was something done by Grandma. 

Back in March 1987 this was painted:

And here I thought my day couldn't get any better than coffee with Leo. 
I love picking out the familiar and noting the differences that 26 years makes. 
What a gift. 
And to think, if I hadn't thought of the auction when I did, I would have completely missed it. 
I first texted her at 0934 and it sold at 0946. 
I was going to give it to Leo for an anniversary gift, but I couldn't wait; I was too excited. 
And really, the only thing that could make this any better?


A John Deere tractor!
A JD 4010 perhaps…

Love, love, love it!!!


Love,
Dianne

4 comments:

  1. A treasure indeed!! So happy you got that special milk can painted by a special lady. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how things turn up years later…back in 1987, I had no idea Level Acres Dairy even existed and certainly never thought I'd live here. Makes the world a little smaller somehow. ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful! Great story....wishing you both a great day.
    Nelson

    ReplyDelete