Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Wrong Side of the Bed is Not Where It Ends

To wake up on the wrong side of the bed is:
     1.) To wake up with a headache and a kink in your neck.
     2.) To wake up much later than you had hoped to, thus feeling like a day is wasted.
     3.) To search the cupboard in vain for something that appeals to you for breakfast.
          Actually, it would be brunch. Remember, you woke up late?
     4.) A do-to list that when unrolled, stretches across the kitchen floor.
     5.) Coffee that gets cold before you drink all of it.
     6.) Going downstairs and finding your girls watching Tia and Tamara on their reality show.
     7.) Staying focused on the negative. And why not? I am justified, right?

Whoa, hold it, stop, cease and desist.
Who do I think I am?
Am I really justified in treating everyone badly just because I rolled out of bed wrong this morning?
Poor Leo.
He wished me a cheery "Good Morning!"
I responded with a mumbled, "The jury is still out on that one." I think I may have snarled too.
He left the house soon thereafter and has not poked his head back in since. I think I scared him.

I continued the mumbling, complaining rant under my breath as I filled the sink with water to do the dishes. "I didn't even eat here yesterday. These aren't my dishes." Snarl, growl. Was that an angry tear mingling in the dishwater?The mood continued to sour, much like the milk left in one of the guy's lunch boxes. Bleech.

Soon, the girls ventured out to the kitchen. A little warily I might add. I was sweeping up enough dirt to cover a forest floor when Amy took over the dishes and Heather offered to make me eggs. Ryan, not yet in tune to a mother's bad mood, was clueless. Through my black fog of attitude, I saw a glimmer of light. Somewhere in my heart, in my mind, I knew I needed to get a grip. I needed to turn this ship around and head back to port before I got stuck in a hurricane that would surely sink me and pull my family down too.

So, with a little forced effort, I changed my tone in my voice. I tried to find something positive to say. I poured my coffee. Amazing how the storm clouds began to lift at that point and hey, was that a ray of light? The warmth from that one ray, from one kind word...amazing. That's all I can say.

I may have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, but I don't have to stay there. I still have hours left in this day. The first hour will not dictate the rest of my day! I won't let it. So there.

My today resolution: When I am tempted to let a bad attitude sink my ship, I will stand tall, look to God, take the wheel, say a resounding "Aaaarrrrgggghhh" in my best pirate voice, and sail right on through. 

With God's help, because in my own strength I am incredibly weak, I can do this.

Hebrews 4:16 "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment