Monday, October 29, 2012

Storm Prep and Beyond

After work this morning I figured I had better stop at Wal-Mart and get some necessities.
You know, in preparation for the Sandy Storm Event Of The Century.
The "necessities" included (not necessarily in order of importance):
     *toilet paper
     *cat food
     *4 boxes of Pumpkin Pie PopTarts (yes, that would be 4 box
     *Eggs, milk and cream cheese (in case I feel like baking) (Actually, it is more like, if Heather does)
     *coffee creamer of a variety of flavors
     *yogurt
     *ham and kielbasa and bread
     *cheese crackers (shaped like penguins and bunnies)
     *bananas, lettuce and peppers
     *bottled water (which was the only thing the store was running low on)

What does this say about me?
     -I am not organized enough to have a menu planned out.
     -I like to wait until the last minute.
     -I prefer candles over flashlights.
     -I believe that coffee creamer is a food group.
     -So is yogurt.
     -A secret joy of mine is eating a PopTart.
     -In my book, Rain + Cold Weather + Sandy Hurricane = Soup for Supper
     -I don't like our tap water to just drink.
     -I complain about the cats, but hey, I do care about them.

I like seeing what other people have in their carts too, like scented pinecones. Now that seems like an important item at a time such as this. They smelled good though.

When I went into the store, the rain was coming down, gentle and deceiving. Maybe, just maybe, the forecast is wrong...

When I came back out, the raindrops were fatter and wetter, hitting my face like they meant business. Okay, maybe the weather guys are on to something...

I drove home and the temperature went from 45 degrees to 38 degrees. So, maybe we'll get a little bit of something...

Rain, just rain all afternoon, but still not too bad. Maybe we'll luck out with just rain. Cancellations for schools already for tomorrow? Nah, not believing it....

I'm checking Facebook and seeing pictures with snow, just miles south of where we are. Still, just rain here and I am a little disappointed...

Five minutes ago, out first wet, heavy flakes fell from the gray, waterlogged clouds. Ryan is jubilant. I will admit that I find it a little exciting too. I am thankful though that we are not where the worst of the storm is as it pummels the coast. Prayers are lifted on behalf of those who are dealing with flooding, high winds and more.

I don't know how the next few days will play out. Storm or no storm, that's true for every day.
I just need to take it in stride, be prepared the best that I can be, and ride it out.

I hope I won't need the rowboat; it is out on the pond filling with rain water.

Tonight, the plan is (not necessarily in order of importance):
     *Eat soup.
     *Be with my family.
     *Stay warm.
     *Wear fuzzy PJ's
     *Drink a hot drink.
     *Count my blessings.

Stay safe!
Love,
Dianne





   


No comments:

Post a Comment