Thursday, October 4, 2012

Clean Houses Take Time. Really?

Time.
Too much.
Too little.
24 hours a day.
1,440 minutes a day.
Time.

Lately I feel like am on the "too little" end of the stick when it comes to time, especially when it comes to my house. My hourglass is always running out of sand (or is that just me, running out of steam?) Even when I think I have a couple of days off to get caught up, I don't. Time is like an attic. When you have too much empty space, you are suddenly compelled to fill it.  A day that looks empty is suddenly filled just as quickly.

Take today for instance.
0715 Alarm goes off.
0750 Five snoozes later, I am up.
0752 Coffee is brewing (hazelnut, yum)
0830 Showered, dressed, travel mug and banana in hand, and I am off for a day of home visits with my other job at Tender Loving Home Care
0900 First visit
1000 Second visit
1100 Third visit
1200 Fourth visit
1300 Fifth visit
1520 Headed home via scenic route. Amazing, by the way.
1550 Home
1550-1650 Checking Facebook, sorting mail, etc etc.
1650 Making supper
1715 Talked to Heather who needs picked up at the school

The rest of tonight?
Leo has a class, Ryan and I have play practice and Heather wants to come along, Amy has a volleyball game, and Adrienne and Aaron...not sure. Nobody updated their status on the whiteboard (our family "Facebook" on the wall.). Oh, and I need to run to the bank.

In return for too many days with not enough time, this is what my house looks like. Time for some honesty here, in case you all think I am super organized and have it all together. You may need therapy after this.

Shoes, lots of shoes are always present in various states of disorganization. 
And this was taken when nobody was home but me. 
A few more pairs scampered out of view (camera shy, I guess)

Who has time to take out the garbage? 

The kitchen table has a couple days worth of school papers and mail layered on it. 
I could decoupage it on there and say I was being crafty.

Dirty dishes...always. 
This actually doesn't look too bad.
Thanks Leo. 

 Just a few clothes baskets with clean clothes awaiting being sorted, folded and put away. 
It could be worse, they could all be full of dirty clothes. 
I am thankful for small blessings. 
Oh, and look, another pair of shoes.

And there you have a glimpse of just what happens when I have too little time for cleaning.
BUT...
-I took the time to spend moments during visits today to make connections with some pretty awesome 90-something year olds.
-I took a scenic route that twisted and winded though the mountains between Westernport Maryland and my house. The fall scenery was spectacular and so worth the extra time it took.
-Taking time to spend with my kids at their games or play practice is more fun than scrubbing a toilet and the memories made last so much longer.
-I made the time to write this because I enjoy writing. If I never take time to do something I enjoy, I will regret it someday.
-Truly, a clean house is nice. It's relaxing. It is necessary at times, but not always. What do they say?
  "They say housework won't kill you, but why take the chance?" 
-If I never take the time to (insert whatever you'd like here), I may never have the chance.

So even in a busy day, there were moments of quiet, glimpses of grace, breaths of peace.
Too little time? Yes, it feels that way when I look at the big picture or the big mess, but when I take the day apart, I am thankful. The housework will be there tomorrow. And the next. And the day after that even.
Will I always be this busy? Probably not.
Do I ever want to have nothing to do? Probably not.
Do I complain about it? Probably.
Today I just need to remind myself that some things in life are more important than unwrinkled clothes, spotless floors and toilet bowls fit for a queen. Really.

Love,
Dianne




No comments:

Post a Comment