Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Planet Project

From humble beginnings as styrofoam orbs,


to being covered in with gluey strips of paper…

…to getting a coat of primer by a 10 year old boy,
the planet project was finally on its way. 

Ryan and I have wanted to do this for such a long time. 
(It took me much longer than 7 days to create this little universe.)
We researched, both in books and on the internet. 
We have a pretty amazing galaxy out there, in case you hadn't noticed. 

Ryan lined them all up in order, all 9 of them.
I know, I know, poor Pluto is no longer considered a planet
but in my mind, it always will be. 
Yes, I am a planet rebel. 
And because pitiful Pluto is always last,
I am putting him first in the photo lineup.
As you can see, we had lots of help.
Mercury was the first one to get painted. 
I was kinda picky about it, but soon the mantra was, 
"It's not for school; it's not going to get graded."

But wait, isn't 4th grade the "Year of the Planet Project"?
Hmmmm. 
Does it count if it was a group project? 
And if dinosaurs helped? 

Ah, here's our version of Venus, 
just hanging out next to Mercury like she always does. 

                                                            And then there was Earth. 
Not exactly accurate in detail, but clouds cover a multitude of mistakes. 
And yes, I know that South American doesn't overlap with the South Pole.
Except when I paint it. That's why I took a picture of the other side of the world. 
Clouds I tell you, clouds. 

Mars, good old Mars.
Kinda red, kinda orange, kinda rusty.
Kinda messy.

It's even got ice caps.  

Jupiter, the bad boy of the solar system was next. 
Ryan put on the base coat.

"Amy, oh AMYYYYY HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!"
She helped. 
She even put the famous red spot on.
Jupiter says, "Thanks."

Saturn, minus her rings.
What is a girl to do without her jewelry?
Hopefully we'll figure out how to fix that problem.
Saturn says, "Make it soon." 
 

What do you get when a boy paints Neptune?
A Ninja Neptune

Not to worry, this Ninja was of the friendly sort;  
very quickly she made friends with Uranus, even though he was a little shy at first.
It's the name.  

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus and yes, Pluto. 

Or, to help you remember, try this acronym: 
"My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles."

Now that the planets are painted, what's next?
We are making them into a mobile for Ryan's room. 
Once I figure out how that is. 

Hopefully it won't take another year….

Love,
Dianne






No comments:

Post a Comment