Sunday, January 19, 2014

It Takes a Family to Make a Joyful Noise

Watching the worship team this morning, I started thinking, "What if my family led worship one Sunday, singing and using the instruments we can play?" Imagine if you will, Adrienne fingering the flute,  Amy on the clarinet and Heather playing the saxophone. That leaves Aaron playing either the guitar, piano or trumpet, Lisa-Anna and Ryan singing and Leo on guitar (if we keep it simple). That leaves only me.

I can play the recorder. A little. Hot Cross Buns. Go Tell Aunt Rhody.
I can kinda play the piano. Kumbaya. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. The first few measures of Fur Elise.
This is not sounding too promising.
I could sing.

Have you ever heard a rabbit being chased down by a hawk?
Or the sound of brakes going bad?
Or even the sound a vacuum makes when the fan belt breaks?

Maybe I'll just play the tambourine. Really, how hard could that be?
Or I could play the handbells. You know, I did play them once, back in 1985 at the graduation ceremonies at Northern and Southern High Schools. Of course I only was responsible for one, or at the very most, two notes. Is Pomp and Circumstance a church song?

I am not sure that beautiful music is in the future for my crew. At least not as it is right now. But I do know that my girls, including my daughter-in-law, can all sing really well, Ryan loves to sing and his enthusiasm is contagious, and Aaron can take the piano or guitar and make beautiful music. Leo has a wonderful tenor voice and again that leaves me.

But I have talents too, although not musically. The worship team often has the words up on a screen and I think I could do that part. Or put pictures together with the music in an inspirational way. Or do a spiritual reading that goes with the worship theme.

We could each do our part. And love does cover a multitude of sins (or off-key screeching  singing).

1 Peter 4:8-10
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.  As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace.

So who knows…maybe someday the Maust crew will lead out in worship. And believe me, it would be a joyful noise. Here's a sample from earlier today:


Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment