Monday, January 6, 2014

On "The Wanted" List

December 20, 2013:  Pulled over in a random fashion by a police officer after he was stopped behind me at a stop sign. I wasn't speeding. I wasn't texting. I wasn't doing anything. But my registration sticker was expired, so the lights came on and I pulled dutifully over.

Oh bother. I can't even get pulled over for doing anything mildly exciting.

I was issued a fine for having an expired sticker. I had 10 days to pay. (I thought I had 15 days to pay. This becomes a problem as you will see.)

January 4, 2014: I get a letter in the post. District Court something-or-other.

Oh bother.

Seems I forgot to take care of the matter and now, a warrant for my arrest is being filed. And I thought having a one-day-in-school suspension for chewing gum was bad.

I tried taking care of it over the phone with the number that was in the letter, but of course, their office was closed. Well, the nerve.

January 6, 2014: Another letter. This time from the constable. I am going to be placed on a national database. Because I am a danger to society (it didn't really say that last part, but it's how it made me feel.). No matter that there are people out there admitting to using illegal drugs, not paying child support, shoplifting, abusing their elderly grandparents, or hitting their children, because all resources must be used to capture the delinquent oops-I-work-two-jobs-it's-the-holidays-and-I-am-a-few-days-late-paying-my-fine criminal. Yeah, it kinda makes me angry.

The money is in the mail; I am refusing to put it on a credit card. The District Magistrate's office was notified. They said "they'd take care of it." My picture better not end up in the newspaper.

Still January 6, 2014: I have to work tonight. Which means driving. In my car. With the old sticker still in plain view because my new one has not arrived in the mail yet. Should I worry? Should I wear a disguise? No.

Leo is driving with me to Johnstown tonight so he can stay with his dad. I may live to drive another day. Unless, wait…is my inspection up-to-date?

Love,
Dianne the Delinquent


No comments:

Post a Comment