Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year...Onward and Upward

I don't always like to reflect.
Especially when it involves reflecting on the year just past.
Sometimes the reflection only reveals what I perceive as failure and procrastination.
That is discouragement served on a platter.

Instead I want to just move forward. Not make goals or resolutions because then at the end of 2014, I can look back and again see failure and procrastination.

Okay, really, I am starting to make myself feel quite despondent here. I mean, nothing like setting oneself up for failure before Day 1 is even over. Sheesh.

Start over.

2013 was good. Amidst the living of everyday life we had one child move out and later on, get married. We had one going to camp for the very first time and he loved it. We had another headed into her senior year of high school and she couldn't hardly wait for 2014 to get here. Our oldest transferred to Frostburg State and her education is continuing. Then there is the child who finally got to start going to youth group. All in all, a good year.

Leo and me? We survived all the above events and happenings and it gave us ambition to move forward into 2014. See, we don't know what any given day holds, let alone any given year. So we just have to take it a day at a time. One foot in front of the other. And whether or not I make a goal that I achieve (or not), it doesn't define who I am.

Maybe what I need to do is find a saying, a verse, a quote, something to inspire me to keep putting myself out there, to keep taking steps forward, to live moment to moment. So, let's see…

"I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam-I-Am."
--Dr. Seuss

Too specific. And I don't know, I may actually like green eggs and ham.

Isaiah 22:13
New International Version (NIV)
" But see, there is joy and revelry,
    slaughtering of cattle and killing of sheep,
    eating of meat and drinking of wine!
“Let us eat and drink,” you say,
    “for tomorrow we die!”

I know we live on a beef farm, but maybe this is taking it a little too far.

“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!” 

― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

Isaiah 43:2-3, 18-19
English Standard Version (ESV)

2When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

18 “Remember not the former things,
    nor consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I am doing a new thing;
    now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

So, between Dr. Seuss and Isaiah 43 I think I have it. Read all of Isaiah 43. Wow. And while I don't relish the idea of "deep waters", "river's of difficulty", or "the fire of oppression", I do see the promise that is there. I will not drown. I will not be burned up. The flames will not consume me. Wow.

Today is my day. The mountain is waiting and there is no point in just staying at the bottom. God is at my side and I have to take that first step. Onward and upward.

Love,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment