Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Thoughts on a Tuesday

When the brain is tired, the body is weary and the soul is beyond either, it is not the time to deal with customer service a'la my cell phone service. After working three nights, dozing in my car for about an hour before meeting my girls in Somerset for an orthodontia appointment, and then shopping for a while, let's just say that when 5:00pm rolled around, I was ready to stop, drop, and sleep.

NOT talk to an automated voice asking for information that I could not type into my phone. This automated voice, in response to my polite "remove secondary password" request, would say, "I'm sorry, I could not understand..." Then I would, not so politely, respond:

"PassWorD!#@&*" 
Okay, some of the colorful stuff was thought, but not expressed verbally. I still had some sensibility.
Not much, but some. 

I don't remember ever putting in a secondary password. The purpose is to keep intruders from making changes to my cell phone plan, but seriously, when the administrator of the account can't even make changes, I think it is going a little too far. 

I may have even tossed the phone across the table at one point. Gently. 
The smoke coming from my ears and the lights flickering may have alerted my children to a meltdown. 
Then...rescue. 
Aaron's girlfriend, who apparently enjoys handling customer service reps, takes control. I gladly let her. 
She asked to speak to a live person.
She got someone who spoke English, for the most part. 
Pretending to be me, she got the job done. Of course, I was giving her info as I could while she got Adrienne's cell phone activated. 
Mission complete. 
Meltdown averted. 
Let's eat cheesecake. 

When I am having "technical difficulty" in life, what do I do? 
Do I try to fix it myself? (Often, yes, with not much success)
Do I go to a secondary source (like the automated voice)?
Or do I go straight to the one with the answers who knows exactly what I need before I even ask? 

God does know what I need. He cares for the small details. He handles it when I am finally ready to just give up the control. This week, with the tragedy in Connecticut, there are so many asking "why?" Why the children? It makes no sense. It makes us sad, angry and confused. Weary. Tired. 

I don't have answers, but I know that I need to give up the control, the trying to figure it all out. I need to just let God be God. It still won't make sense, but for today, it's enough. 

I know, kinda weird the thoughts that come out of a phone call, but I am glad for the reminders. I am glad that God works that way for me. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment