Sunday, June 29, 2014

Kentucky Vacation Ch.8: SkyLift

Kentucky Vacation Chapter 8: SkyLift (No, this is not a James Bond movie)

On that Father's Day in June,
we set out for Natural Bridge State Resort Park
where a gift of nature would please our sights
...if we could only survive the Sky Lift.

 I wasn't so sure we'd survive when I read the above sign from my seat in the sky. 
I don't know about you, but when I read that, it's telling me not to litter, unless it is myself that I throw down from heights above. Truly, unless you count the hundreds of hair ties covering a large rock that you pass on the way to the top, there wasn't much litter. Oh, and one lonely map that blew out of my grasp literally as we passed  by this sign. Oops. 

We debated taking the sky lift to the top, then those that wanted to could hike back down.
The guides said it was "strenuous" and would take about an 1 1/2 hours. 
After the hike to Judith Arch, my gang decided against "strenuous".
We'd be taking the lift on a round-trip. 

Here we go…..
Aaron and Lisa-Anna,
followed by Heather and Amy,

then it was Adrienne and Yours Truly,

with Ryan and Leo close behind, 

  and last, but certainly not  least were Mom and Dad. 
(This is them getting ready to disembark at the top).

The way to the top was actually very relaxing, even for me, and I don't like heights much. 
We did this same ride back in the Autumn 1995 with Adrienne and Aaron sitting with us. 
Aaron made the comment "It's surreal being someplace I was before but don't really remember."
Yes, the little guy in the red sweatshirt and red cap is Aaron. And the little girl in pink, that's Adrienne. 
The gentle hum of the motors, the barely noticeable swaying as the cables took the cars to the top,
the warm sun on our faces, the just-enough breeze to make it nice, the amazing views and all the green surrounding us…feeling thankful.



Once we all were off the sky lift, we set out on a trail...

…and came out on a wide, flat area that was actually the top of the bridge. 
Standing up on top, with no sides to keep you in place, I thought I'd have to worry about Ryan falling off the edge or just being too daring. No, it was my Dad I had to worry about. Interesting. 

The view from the bridge...
 …and another view...

That rock in the above view? 
We were able to walk out to it and look across the valley to see The Bridge. 
Glorious. 






More views from the top. 
While not James Bond, this could be Charlie's Angels. 

I could be Charlie. 
Or 007. 
Or not. 
I am afraid of heights. 

 These two?
Agent Mama Gray and Agent Van Chauffeur
Well disguised aren't they? 
It's the tourist vibe. 

After exploring the bridge, and bits of the many trails that could lead to the bottom, I was beginning to think we should have hiked back down. Each trail made me want to see more. One sight I saw that stuck with me was of a lone tree starting to grow out of the side of a rock wall.

Hope.


In the end, we did not hike back down and maybe the warnings about the bears may have had something to do with that.



Here's what I'll take from all of it:
1. Conquer those height fears, the view really is worth it.
2. Make life an adventure.
3. Live life on the edge but remember, sometimes getting too close to the edge means a fall.
4. Pretend to be a spy once in a while; it will get you strange looks and is always fun.
5. When all seems to be falling apart, remember the tree taking a firm hold in a rock, and hang on.

Love,
Dianne






No comments:

Post a Comment