Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Little Conscious Sedation

Conscious sedation is a combination of medicines to help you relax (a sedative) and to block pain (an anesthetic) during a medical or dental procedure. You will probably stay awake but may not be able to speak. Conscious sedation lets you recover quickly and return to your everyday activities soon after your procedure. (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007409.htm)

Or here's my definition: 
 Conscious sedation is a combination of working night shift and then not sleeping at all afterwards. Not even a little nap, because life is busy and you didn't have time. This is not recommended by any doctor, any sane nurse (which would exclude me), or anybody in general. You will probably be awake, able to speak, but not always with rational thought. Everything, and I mean everything that is funny suddenly becomes insanely hilarious, often at the most inappropriate times. 

Let's take yesterday for example.

I worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. I did sleep Saturday and Sunday during the day in preparation for the night's work. Then Monday morning happened. I left work feeling quite alert. I didn't even struggle (much)  to stay awake on the drive home. I called Leo and told him that I would meet him at home, then take him to his appointment in Meyersdale. The lucky man was scheduled for an EGD. 

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is a test to examine the lining of the esophagus (the tube that connects your throat to your stomach), stomach, and first part of the small intestine. It is done with a small camera (flexible endoscope) that is inserted down the throat.
(http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003888.htm)

He had conscious sedation of the first definition variety and he did very well with the whole procedure. I did not watch, nor did I want to watch. In nursing school, we had to observe this procedure. It was the first time in my nursing career that I nearly passed out. The doctor made me leave the room and go sit down. There is a reason I do not work in the GI lab. 

After Leo was done, I went back to retrieve him. I joked with the doctor about who should drive home as I hadn't slept. He seriously thought I was being serious. On the other hand though, when I am sleepy then driving is not such a smart option. So there we were. Leo with Conscious Sedation #1 definition and me with Conscious Sedation #2 definition. Oh, this was going to be good. Especially since he was very happy, kinda giggly and talking loudly. If you know Leo, you know this is not how he normally behaves. And he was kinda wobbly on his feet. Oh yes, this was going to be fun.

Off we went to Thomas Drug Store to pick up a prescription. I thought Leo would stay in the car. He didn't. I held onto him so he wouldn't weave about the store like a drunken man. He asks the pharmacist is his prescription is there, telling her what it was, the doctor, everything. Well, everything but his own name. What was that again? 

As it turns out, the prescription wasn't there; we could come back in about 45 minutes. Making our wobbly way to the exit, we both got distracted by the card rack. On it were a variety of cards featuring cats. Funny cats. REALLY funny cats. I pointed one out to Leo. He starts chuckling, than chortling, then outright laughing. Then he pointed one out and I giggled and laughed, then realized if we didn't stop, I was going to pee my pants. My green scrub pants. I tried to get him away but then he saw another mad cat, and a droopy eared dog. Oh this had to stop or we would get tossed out of the drugstore.   

We got home, safely and without too much hilarity. He took a nap, I didn't. His conscious sedation wore off, mine lingered. Will I never learn? But then I slept last night. It helps, really it does. So, if anyone is looking for a fun date with their spouse, I'd recommend a little conscious sedation. Especially if you haven't laughed together for a long time. It's guaranteed to work.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment