Tuesday, February 25, 2014

To Rant or To Rave

I was all set to rant about insurance companies. Not all companies, but my insurance company to be specific. I was ready to complain about my frustrations in not getting answers and having lives put on hold (both literally and on the phone) while figuring out the next step.

But…

But, instead I am going to rave. Not about my insurance company (we are still on-hold there), but about my daughter-in-law. Can I just call her my daughter? I really don't like the "in-law" part; it's too formal.
She stopped by today for lunch. She let me rant a little, unload a little and then she was able to make a phone call for me…and actually get a person on the other end…yeah, she's awesome.

Sometimes all it takes is someone with a listening ear and a heart to understand. It is crazy sometimes how alike we are. Scary. And nice. If she needs to vent, I hope I can be the same for her. Eating lunch together is a fringe benefit. Roasted spaghetti squash with tomatoes, black beans, spinach, ground turkey and feta cheese. Season as desired. Mmmmmm.

If life were always this simple…

But…

But, it's not. I do get frustrated. I find myself speaking louder and louder, with every word feeling like it is punctuated with a @#!%! I don't know why I let stuff get to me. Why things like malfunctioning mouse pads, misplaced receipts, a late notice, snowy roads, passport worries, and my weight bother me so much is beyond me. In the big scheme of life, it's all rather insignificant really. And who am I trusting here? Myself?
No wonder I get so frustrated.

Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem? ~Isaiah 2:22 (NIV)

"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." ~James 4:14 (NIV)

I worry, I fret, I rant. I waste a lot of energy doing this. My mist is getting thin.
Sitting back, carefree and doing nothing isn't the solution either, but taking steps to solve a problem, to tackle a worry head-on, to seek advice or ask for help, now that's taking the breath we've been given and putting it to good use.

A mist is here for such a short time really, I'd rather not waste it.

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." ~1 Timothy 6:17-19


The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment