Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Day:Wonderful


Occasion: Our 25th anniversary
We were all set to go; Leo in the passenger seat and I, behind the wheel. Now mind you, this is not because I like to be in charge (well not all the time!), but more because sometimes his driving makes me carsick. But today, we are lovesick. It is a good thing our children are not here to see this.

Leaving the house: 12:15pm
Destination: The Cornish Manor and other places in the general vicinity of Oakland, MD that we have always wanted to visit but never take the time to do so. 




The Chef to welcome us inside off the wraparound porch. 




















Located in an old "cottage", the atmosphere was vintage, charming, and oh-so Dianne. I wanted to explore all the rooms and look at all the old photos on the walls. A house with history that now serves delicious food (ahh yes, Creme Brûlée for dessert…mmmmm); what more could I ask for?















And in the same room as us? A few members of the class of 1954 that we had the pleasure of eavesdropping on as they reminisced about high school capers that no one wanted to admit to being a part of. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Of course, I had to go up those stairs! It's a good thing it's open to the public, because I had a plan that involved distraction, diversion, and division. Leo would provide all three.

Just us, reflecting on the day thus far...

 Bellies full now of seafood, Cornish potatoes, salad and warm crusty bread, we headed for our next destination. A little place called Simon Pearce. With exquisite glassware in stunning displays in the showroom, I had to resist the urge to spin around, arms outstretched just because I wanted to see the look on the hostess' face if I did it. I am pretty sure that "you break it, you buy it" really means "your bank account it now broke".

While there, we walked along the visitor's catwalk and observed the glass blowers doing what they do best. The timing and how they worked together was quite amazing to watch. I want to know who discovered that sand, when heated, makes this molten liquid that becomes pliable and can be blown into vessels. Amazing. Truly an art form.

After not breaking any glass, or our bank account, we set off to see a few local museums. As it turns out, we got to there about 15 min after they had all closed. All three of them. Another day.

But, we did watch a father and son as they worked on restoring a caboose from the B&O railroad. An Eagle Scout project that would look interesting in my yard, don't you think?










Then, since our timing was so bad with the museums, what that really meant was that we'd have more time for what I was really interested in. An Antique Mall that pretty much calls my name every single time I go by it. Today would be the day.



I am sensing endless possibilities here. 



Any place that has Currier & Ives plates is a winner with me. And old doorknobs…and books…and buttons…and linens…and vintage toys…and antique games…and old salvaged house parts, like shutters, doors and windows…and movie posters…and stuffed alligators…

Well, not the stuffed alligator. He was creepy.

So was the white cup with a clown on it that I found that I had when I was a kid. (My phone battery died, so no picture. Hey Mom, do we still have that cup?) Before it died though, I found these mugs that I think must've come from saving cereal box tops. I think my grandparents had some of these. Tang, anyone?








Not only did this place have room after room of treasures, it had hats. I like hats. Hats don't always like me though. It's a love/hate relationship.



 Maybe it was the hats.

Maybe it was the Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney crooning in the background, but this antique mall was romantic.

We even foxtrotted and didn't care if anyone saw us.




For a little while, we went our separate ways. He explored some old books and odd pieces of machinery. I checked out the eclectic display of vintage pieces in the kitchen area and lacey linens while drooling over some wardrobes. Then when I rounded the corner of a bookcase, this is what I saw:
  Ignore the book that says, "Discovery of Witches"; what I saw was my groom in the room and he was not riding a broom.

Our time visiting the past came to an end as we turned the car towards home. Looking forward to stopping at a coffee shop at The Lake, we were disappointed that it, like the museums, was not on the same time table as us.  But, had we stopped there for a coffee break, we might have missed this:

And believe me when I say, I wouldn't have missed this,
nor the last 25 years, for anything.
Not even for a cup of really good coffee. 

The Day: Wonderful

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment