Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sometimes Life is Funny

Sometimes life is funny. Like the other night. Here's how it went: 

I had worked my last of 3 night shifts and had spent my day sleeping on-and-off. Having taken a "less-drowsy" motion sickness pill for a helicopter flight, I was more sleepy than normal. "Less-drowsy" apparently means nothing to my body. I could hardly think straight. For 24 hours. I am pretty sure that's not normal. 

So, Leo and I had planned to go pick up a couch and love-seat from one of my coworkers who lives almost 2 hours away. The hay was almost done, so Leo said we would leave "after dark". Finally on the road "after dark" I sent Melissa a text.

We'll be there 2 nite. Sorry so late."
(She was a good sport.)
"Good bonding time with your man."

"Big man and little man :) Ryan thinks this is an adventure.

I dozed off then, still struggling with alertness. I awoke after what felt like a long time to find we were still on the road. I glanced at the speedometer…hmmm only 50 mph on the highway. Come on Leo, pick up the pace; my friend's waiting up for us!

                                             "Still headed your way. Never knew his truck was so slow. Just pretend it's night shift. "

"Just let me know when u r close"

We drove awhile longer and 50 mph became more like 30 mph and we were still on the highway. An exit loomed ahead. It was our exit and we hoped a gas station would be open.

                                                                                   "Okay, here's the thing. His truck is   only going about 30 mph and having issues. Not sure it will do whatever mountain is between here and there. Seriously. 

My friend offered her help. She could come pick us up if we'd like. She said she was only 20 minutes away. 
"20 minutes uphill or downhill"

"Pretty much down. How will you get home?"

"He can go about 30 mph unless it's on a hill, then 
look out…Gravity! Home? Hmmmm. We'll call Medstar.

"…Gotta love farm trucks."

"Keep me posted."

"Okay, after that pause in traveling 
(while Leo checked out Walmart), he is 
going (gasp) 50 mph. Going to go to your place and 
take our chances. Cause we are wild like that. "

"See you in 4 hrs. Hahaha"

"At least we aren't going to get stopped for speeding. 
I think we hit 55.  If you hear a loud sound, that was us
breaking the sound barrier. "

"Funny. Great bonding. How is Ryan doing?"

"He was smart and brought a pillow. He had a 
chocolate milkshake and his world is good."

"Just went by a sign telling us to "reduce your speed". 
Hahahahaha. High cross winds. We got this. "

"Night shifts aren't this interesting"

"Thank God!"

Then, after trudging along at a pace somewhere between "snail" and "molasses in January", we made it to Melissa's house. She is like me: a night shift night-owl who at 11pm suddenly and mysteriously becomes alert and awake, even after not much sleep during the day. Thank goodness because we got there much, much later than anticipated. Yes, it was "after dark" but I don't think we thought we'd be seeing the sunrise too. 

(Okay that was a bit exaggerated. It was only about midnight when we got there, but still way too late for what was socially acceptable furniture picking-up time!)

And we still had to go home. Over a mountain or two. 

It didn't matter that it was late and we were tired. It wasn't important that someone had to work the next morning. It was okay. Cause we were bonding. And not only will we laugh about it someday, we already did. Cause life is funny like that. 

Love,
Dianne














No comments:

Post a Comment