Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Letter to My Graduate

Feeling blessed. Very blessed.

I am sitting in my kitchen, listening to the quiet, consistent tick-tock of the clock. The house is quiet for now. I am tired, but a good tired. Today my firstborn graduated with an Associate of Science in Education (with a focus on Early Childhood) at Allegany College of MD. Am I proud? Very proud.

I remember telling her when she was in high school that I think she should consider a degree in teaching. She didn't think so. Too much time, too few jobs. Would it be worth it?

After one semester of classes, she declared her major. Yes, Early Childhood Education it would be. I was so happy for her as I saw the peace that came with this decision. This just fit her so well. When she was younger, she would sometimes read to Amy and Heather. But, not only would she read, she would come up with a lesson from the story along with a craft. "Teacher in the making" is what I'd say to myself.

Adrienne sometimes says that all of her siblings were blessed with a special talent (Aaron-piano and musical stuff; Amy-art of any kind; Heather-dancing; Ryan-well, okay, not anything real specific as of yet, although he loves to sing). She says she wasn't.

Whoa and back up the bus! No special talent? "Poppycock!" is what I say to that. This girl has an amazing talent when it comes to dealing with kids! She tells a story that, even without pictures, you could picture it in your head. She comes up with hands-on projects and games that get the point across. She is generous with kindness and compassion and kids love her. When she is given an assignment like, oh say, design a bulletin board, she comes up with something fun to look at, hands-on and educational, and interesting. I would've had to hire someone to come up with the same quality of work. For her, even though it doesn't always just happen easily, it just happens.

You could say I was proud. Just a little.

Okay, A LOT.


Adrienne, 

I know today felt like just a stepping stone to a "real" degree, and it some ways it was, but in other ways, not. You see, I have seen you stay up late, struggling with horrible math classes, or putting the finishing touches on a powerpoint presentation. I've seen you sad over a child who lost their mother, and I've seen you rejoice with a child who finally understood a concept. Any child will be blessed beyond measure to have you as their teacher. 

So, onward and upward as you head for the next phase. The time is going to pass regardless as the tick-tocking clock keeps reminding me. You already know it's not an easy ride. You already know there will be potholes, flat tires, keys locked in the car, and empty gas tanks. But, put on your seatbelt and take that ride. You will cross the finish line. 

I'll be waiting for you when you arrive. With cheesecake. 

Love,
Dianne, the proud mama

No comments:

Post a Comment