Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Kinda Bedtime Story



I started the day on the wrong side of the bed, but it was Leo's side so it was a nice side of the bed. Somehow, every morning after he leaves, I end up crossways in the bed, using his pillow.

I don't even like flat pillows, but yet there I am. Do I secretly want the flat pillow and can't admit it?

Ever since we got married, he has liked flatter pillows; I use two fluffy pillows. I began to dread making the bed because when the pillows were put in their proper place, it was flat, then fluffy and sooo uneven. It assaulted my sense of balance and needing things in proper alignment and cohesiveness.

I stopped making the bed every single day. Now, how an unmade bed looks more balanced to me is a mystery that I have yet to solve. It makes no sense. None.

I have often thought about how we fix the bed, trying to make it look all pretty, just so we can mess it all up again that night. Why do we do it?

~ Nothing feels as nice as pulling back the covers and they are all smooth and not shoved in a tangled heap at the foot of the bed. Or even worse, when you pull the covers up and the corner that should be draped over the side ends up in the middle. Ack. It's like having a flannel night gown twisted around your legs. Ack. Not that I wear a flannel nightgown or anything. Really.

~Because a bedroom should be relaxing and inviting, and a beautifully made bed is part of that invitation. I think that is one reason I do not make my bed and that is because I feel like I never get it to look that way. Flat then fluffy unevenness does not say "Hello baby...."

~It is kinda like doing the dishes. Eating off of a clean dish is a much more desirable experience. Ever eat off a dirty dish? No? We don't either and there's a reason. Hence, climbing into bed after a crazy day is just better when the bed has been prepared.

So what does that mean for me? Do I need to make a resolution? Oh no. I think I have written myself into a corner.

Or, it is a reason to get some pillows, redo the nonexistent headboard and make going to bed an experience. (I know what you're thinking. Stop it. ;) )

So here it is, fixed:

See how uneven that looks? No headboard, no adorable pillows. Better Homes and Gardens, I am not.
But, it's a start. And you know, and I know you can't ever finish unless you start somewhere.

Love,
Dianne

2 comments:

  1. Here's a solution. Put your fluffy pillows on each side, cover with the blanket,get a pretty pillowcase or sham for his pillow, and prop it up in the middle of the two fluffy pillows on top of the blanket. Ta da! Balanced and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I may have to give it a try. But Leo with a pretty sham...interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete