Saturday, August 17, 2024

Only 12.5 Years Later…

When I look back 12.5 years to what I wrote, I read about my goals of which I stated, “I have many.”  The fact that I have many goals has not changed over the years, although some of those goals have changed. I know I have changed and rather than fearing that, I’ve strapped in and decided that since I’m here for the duration, I’m going to do my best to enjoy the ride! 

What were some of those goals from 2011 and how did I do at meeting them? 

-Finish our family scrapbook for our vacation to Rhode Island. I can’t say with 100% confidence that that is completed, but maybe it’s something to check in on, so I can check it off my list. 

-Losing “those last 15 pounds”To answer this one, it’s going to be a blog post all of its own. Let me just say that my thoughts and feelings, my attitude around weight loss and my relationship with food has changed dramatically, the last 2-3 years especially.  

-Cleaning out the attic. Well, I still have an attic and there are still a lot of items up there; maybe more than ever as my children grew up and moved out, leaving childhood treasures behind. There is always a good excuse, like it’s too hot up there or too cold, but maybe it is time to stop making excuses and tackle that space. One thing I have learned, especially in the last two years was that if you want results, you have to do the work.

-In 2011, I mentioned “lifelong goals that required determination, stamina and fearlessness, like learning to ride a horse,  learning to ballroom dance, and not only writing, but publishing a book.” It is interesting to me that I have those things listed as “lifelong goals”, and I think what I meant by that was that these were things that I had wanted to do for a large part of my lifetime, not that they would take me a lifetime to do. 


So, how did I do? I did learn to ride a horse better, thanks to my son Ryan. There may have been a few times that I went faster than a walk, and while it was exhilarating, it was also a little terrifying, but I think there’s hope for me to keep growing. 


Since writing that in 2011, a gift from my husband was ballroom dance classes and I blogged about that. While we don’t take the opportunity to showcase our ballroom skills (you’re welcome!😉😄) we did dance at a wedding or two, and if I get the opportunity to sign us up for some swing dance classes, I think I will. That seemed to be what suited us the best. 

-I have not written a book, but I have resumed this blog, and for right now, that’s good. Writing has always helped me to hone my skills of observation, my love of detail, my ability to look for the good, the joyful, the challenging, the life that is all around, and yes, that includes the difficult. It has always helped me keep a healthier perspective. 

17 August, 2024. Do I have goals today? Short-term? Longer-term? I do. Here’s a few, not in any particular order. Writing them down is helpful and somehow helps me to stay accountable and gets them accomplished. 

-Simplify our belongings (note to self: start with the attic)

-Solo backpacking trip on Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail (this one from my first thru-hike with friends in 2021) 

-Learn to bake really good bread. 

-Compete in a Powerlifting competition.

-Run another marathon (from my first marathon 10/2023)

-Spend more weekends traveling to see my children and grandchildren. 


-Speaking of grandkids: be a Nana that is fun, fierce, snugglya, compassionate, kind, and authentic.

Goals. Dreams. Bucket Lists. Life is short. Live it large. 

Love, Dianne

Onward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment