Saturday, August 10, 2024

One Pint At aTime




 



As a kid, I remember watching my dad place a little red teardrop shaped pin at the top of a curtain that hung at the bottom of my grandparents staircase. I’m not sure how old I was, but I know that I had a feeling that this pin was special, that it meant something. It wasn’t until years later, that I learned that those little pins represented the blood my dad had donated to the Red Cross. I thought he was quite the superhero dad! When I asked dad how much blood he had donated over the years, he wasn’t totally sure, but his humble answer was, “a couple of gallons”.  I have a cool dad. 


 Inspired by this, when I was in high school, we had the opportunity to participate in a blood drive, and I gave it a try. Feeling incredibly nervous and worried that I would pass out or throw up, I entered the gymnasium where the tables were lined up and the volunteers were ready to take our blood. Aside from all the bad vampire jokes, I honestly don’t remember it being that bad, and I actually did quite well with it, but out of an unfounded anxiety over needles and fainting, I did not donate again until October 2020. The world was in the midst of Covid and it just felt like something positive I could do. Time to overcome those fears! 





Since then, I’ve tried to donate a total of 14 times with only 8 times being able to do so as the finger stick hemoglobin needs to be 12.5 g/dL or above and I didn’t always hit the mark. It can get discouraging when you’re doing all you can (even taking Flintstone Vitamins with Iron 😖) to do something good and time after time, it doesn’t work out. 


 Four years. It’s been nearly four years and between the low hemoglobin, getting a tattoo, and then donation centers changing their times and I couldn’t line it up with my schedule, I finally hit my first gallon of A+ donated!! 


I could have given up when 3x in a row I was too low and couldn’t donate. I could’ve decided to stop altogether when it became difficult to find the time in my schedule to go.  Getting a tattoo was a valid reason not to go for the specified time period, but I could have somehow allowed that become an ongoing excuse as it had disrupted my routine. 



I can’t…I don’t have time…it’s not convenient. Reminds me a little of everyday life and how easy it is to make excuses when the going gets difficult. 


If I’d given up, I’d never have reached a gallon. What is you’re “gallon” that you’re working towards? Don’t give up now. Make a plan and take the steps to get to the next step. After donating last evening, I scheduled my next two appointments and penciled all the tentative dates for next year in my planner. That gallon didn’t just happen; it was one pint at a time. 


Alas, the Red Cross no longer give out pins but they do sometimes send you an Amazon gift card. I saw a vender has some vintage pins for sale on eBay… think they’d take an Amazon gift card in exchange? 


Onward, Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment