Friday, July 25, 2014

Coffee, EGD, and Cookies

A couple of times I've thought about not drinking coffee. The last time I went cold turkey, I lasted until about 9:30pm and I was at work trying to cope with a caffeine deficiency and a rip-roaring headache. I still tried to go without the cup of joe and instead drank some Pepsi and took an Aleve.

The next three hours were a blend of nausea, sweats, and I still had a headache.
I blame the Pepsi/Aleve combination on an empty stomach.

So, I went back to my daily routine of 1-2 cups in the morning and if I worked, a travel mug full of brew accompanied me for the drive. I enjoy a good cup of coffee, I do. There is just something comforting about the perfect mug, the steam coming off the top, the heartiness of the drink itself.

But.

Oh, don't you just hate when there is a "but".

But then Leo started having some issues with heartburn and cut back on his coffee consumption. It helped. Then I started having some issues with heartburn and I didn't cut back on my coffee consumption. It didn't help.

He went for an EGD because of it. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy in case you always wanted to know what EGD stood for. It does not stand for Every Girl's Dream, especially not this girl. Of the two times I nearly passed out in nursing school, watching one of these being done was one of those times. I know they say you don't remember it and you won't feel a thing BUT somehow I think I would.

Okay. What to do. Cut back on coffee….have heartburn and need an EGD…cut back on coffee…EGD…

Maybe I don't need to go cold turkey this time. I can just drink less. Famous last words as I am reading a series of books where the main character works in a coffee shop, and there is a fabulous new Coffee Shop at the end of my driveway. Literally. I don't set myself up for failure much do I?

This morning I drank Pomegranate Tea and it wasn't too bad. It was in a mug. It steamed. Then I came across two books. One is titled, "I Love Coffee! Over 100 Easy and Delicious Coffee Drinks" and the other, "Coffee Indulgences". 

Avoiding the first book as it presented drinkable temptations, I thought I'd peruse the second book. I may have drooled on the pages. Just a little. Page 9 and the first recipe I came to was "Coffee, Macadamia, and White Chocolate Chunk Cookies." With a description that included phrases such as: chunky, chewy, subtly flavored with coffee, and studded with chocolate, how could I resist?

I didn't resist. Coffee, without drinking coffee. In cookie form. EGD: Extra Grand Deliciousness.
This may not be good for dieting however. EGD: End Good Dieting

Decisions, decisions. Drink less coffee vs. heartburn. Eat more coffee inspired dishes vs. good nutrition.
Coffee, Pecan and Maple Cake vs. carrots. Seriously, is there even a comparison?!? So, maybe my choice needs to be simpler. Just drink less of the java, and maybe avoid it in the evenings when heartburn tends to rear its ugly little head.  EGD: End Goal Decided

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment