Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Adventures in Shoe-Shopping

It all started with needing a pair of sneakers. You see, Ryan likes Converse (or Converse look-alike) sneakers. And to be honest, I like them on him too. They just fit his personality, his Ryan-ness.

But now, this blue pair is in a box ready to go to a new boy, still in good shape but too small for his all of a sudden growing feet. His other pair, the gray ones? There are not fit for wearing out-and-about any longer. I will say though that I was pleasantly surprised at the wearability and durability of these canvas shoes, especially on the feet of this particular boy. 

So yesterday, after a case management meeting during which he kept my sister company, I picked him up and we headed to Wal-Mart, just the two of us. I didn't think we'd find Converse but he really did need another pair of wearable sneakers and even though I could've just picked up a pair on my own, I honestly had no idea of his current size and what he would pick out. I've said it before, I'll say it again: My boys are pickier than my girls when it comes to clothes and shoes. 

I quickly decided that Ryan must not get out to Wal-Mart much as everything was a distraction, an attraction, a temptation. The infomercial products and the toys from commercials? A nightmare for me, a total fascination for him. But I let him be excited, I let him be 10 years old. Well, except when he got down on the floor at the cash register to look for dropped quarters because he only needed just one more to play the game where you drop the claw and never win anything. He was bringing up dropped chapsticks, pieces of paper and dust bunnies. That little quest came to an end rather abruptly. 

Back to our mission: He knew that new shoes were on the list, so he suffered his way through the allergy pill section, the school notebook selection, and the booorrrinngg grocery part. Finally we found the apparel for the feet section and the first pair he picked out were these:

Then he saw some high-top basketball beauties and just had to try them on. I was not impressed. My boy has biggish feet (Size 4 I found out) but rather skinny lower legs and ankles. The shoes did nothing to mask this feature but rather enhanced it making him look a little like a cartoon stick figure. 

I know this is one of his favorite books but he just doesn't have the hairstyle to go with the legs. I vetoed those shoes. The next pair was okay, but they basically screamed, "LOOK AT ME! I THINK MY SHOES ARE COOL!" Not that I am against cool shoes, but they don't have to scream. Hence, why I like Converse on him the best. Quietly cool. And he likes them too. Win-win. 

We went with the pair he had picked and was excited about in the first place. The gray ones with the orange. I think he likes them. At least if the way he was bouncing and jumping and trying to run in Springs Store with them on is any indication. He kept saying, "I feel so free, so light." He is so much like an infomercial that I almost went back and bought a pair for myself. 

In about 15 minutes, we are headed down to LaVale. I have an errand to run and as it's just me and him here today, he's going along. He's fed. He's wearing new shoes. He's calm. Calm that is, until I let him loose in Wal-Mart because you know, it doesn't matter if you were there just the day before, you always realize what you forgot to get as soon as you get home. 

Love, 
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment