Friday, November 21, 2014

Patience With Waiting

Walking to my car, I balanced my bag, bottled water and a travel mug of hazelnut-laced coffee. My cupholder was blocked with an assortment of Christmas CDs so I set the mug on the lidded storage compartment nestled between the seats. A thought flitted through my head.

"You are going to spill it." 

To which I responded, "No, no I won't. I'll get it as soon as I get in. No worries."

"Uh-huh." (My inner voice is smug, a little too smug.)

I respond, a little smugly as well, "We'll see about that."

But then, I got distracted. My car was blanketed in fluffy white snow and I had to go back into the house for the broom. As I brushed the snow off, shivering as much of it blew back onto me, I looked forward to that cup of hot coffee.

Imagine my utter disappointment as I watched my steaming cup get bumped by my clumsy elbow as I hurried to get in my car and out of the cold. Then imagine the tears as it glurged out of my cup and soaked into the carpet.

(I know "glurged" isn't technically a word, but in a coffee deficient moment it becomes a word.)

With lightning quick reflexes that would do any superhero proud, I grabbed the cup like I was grabbing at the last lifeline thrown at me as I floundered in the ocean. Left with less than half a cup, I was not so desperate as to try and soak the liquid from the carpet. I did have a plan though. On my way home from my meeting, I would stop at a Deep Creek Lake coffee shop that I sometimes treat myself to.

Fast forward a few hours and I found myself pulling into the parking lot of Trader's Coffeehouse. Ah yes, I was glad to be there. Looking at the featured flavors of the day I decided on Maple Walnut. I went to the counter and ordered, noting the odd eyebrow frown on the barista. It took just a second or two but then she said, "That was yesterday's flavor. Today is Blueberry Crumble." She must have seen my face fall because she quickly said, "Oh, I can add maple flavoring to your cup and you can add the featured Guatemalan coffee."

I agreed. I wasn't ready for a second cup of coffee for the day to go down the drain.

May I say that the wait was worth it? That spilling my coffee, although quite annoying, did end up as a blessing? That even misreading the menu was okay because I still got maple flavoring in my coffee?


Let's fast forward again....to this morning. I needed to get tires on my car, a chore I avoid as long as possible because I never know what I want and all tires look the same to me. I am pretty much useless when it comes to this kind of thing.

 I went in armed and ready though; I fully expected to have to wait awhile. While I knew the reading table would be loaded (see above photo), it would be along the lines of Popular Mechanics, Sports Illustrated and Consumer Report. I added a spot of color and womanly interest (see photo below).

And what, I ask you, could make this wait all worth it (not counting the new tires)?
A Gingerbread Latte certainly makes me smile. Time to browse a magazine? That makes me smile too.

As my day winds down, my head starts to nod, and I am already thinking about tomorrow. It will be another water bottle, coffee mug balancing morning. I'll be okay though. This week, I learned that being patient and waiting, neither of which I am good at, can sometimes bring its own reward.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment